Dropped Project Alaska

dotman

WKR
What the hell, was this dumbass show shot for the deer hunters that only campout in a cabin? This show/series was a complete disapointment! I feel like i wasted so much time giving it a chance.

Ditto! As I watch it I hope to see something interesting. It looks like they were just looking for a way to write off the trip by making a TV show. Case in point, they made such a big deal in an early episode about not being able to get to that caribou and still have enough daylight to get back to camp after making the shot and dressing it out. Haven't they heard about a bivy shelter or, heaven forbid, leaving before the sun comes up?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Or just hike back in the dark via headlamp and GPS to find your way back like the rest of us do. :D Seriously though its just another "reality" TV show. The stupidier it is and what not the more ratings they feel they'll get.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Oh yeah, on the final episode the narrator made it a point to state "possible 3/4 of a mile hike back to camp in the dark". Seriously that was their longest hike after they shot the caribou and they acted like it was so dangerous.

Ziggy

FNG
Oh yeah, on the final episode the narrator made it a point to state "possible 3/4 of a mile hike back to camp in the dark". Seriously that was their longest hike after they shot the caribou and they acted like it was so dangerous.

I just caught the last episode on DVR and I noticed that comment. The next morning they were pretty much able to stay at camp and look down the river to where the moose was. :)

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I have to agree with dotman's comment. I kept hoping it would turn out to be a "realistic" show, but it just never happened. I think it was a good idea, but that is where it ended. Between the added pouting and drama, and not being able to get farther from the river than eyesight, really made it kind of lame.

7mag.

WKR
Who hunts from camp? I've never been to Alaska, and I've never been on a Moose hunt, but I can't imagine that people are calling moose from camp, sitting around the fire.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
7mag, I'd think you'd be surprised the number of moose that have been shot, while bucking up firewood in camp.

7mag.

WKR
7mag, I'd think you'd be surprised the number of moose that have been shot, while bucking up firewood in camp.

I guess I would be. Seems strange to me, but again, I've never been to Alaska, or Moose hunting. So, is calling from camp normal for Moose hunting?

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
I too thought it was going to be a good show going off the preview I got before the first episode aired then after watching some of it I knew it was going to be a waste... But like other have said, I guess I should have known better than to expect anything new and different. Rokslide should start a "real" hunting show and show all the fakes and wimps on tv what it's really all about! ;)

I too thought it was going to be a good show going off the preview I got before the first episode aired then after watching some of it I knew it was going to be a waste... But like other have said, I guess I should have known better than to expect anything new and different. Rokslide should start a "real" hunting show and show all the fakes and wimps on tv what it's really all about! ;)

Two thumbs up!

I loved how they constantly complained how sore and tired they were yet most of the time sat around camp drinking coffee. Loved how they talked about how much "effort" they put into the hunt yet, once again spent most of their time in camp. They only actually went out walking sort of far 2 days after caribou. Then after that sat in camp glassing, drinking cofee complaining and calling.

I seriously think if they could of put a tree stand up they would have done it. They mentioned going back. I wonder if Real Tree has plans of putting in a series of food plots along that river. :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Hoyt, I think you'd be seriously bored following me around hunting. You wouldn't believe how much I carry my rifles and bow around before I actually kill something. :D

I never made it past the first episode. Did they ever do anything with their bows except carry them around?

No. They did not walk around. Basically once they got into their "moose spot" they stayed in camp. Because of rain. Finally on one day a nice moose walked almost into camp and the one brother shot it with a rifle. Then 15 minutes later one moose walked almost through their camp. But the other brother didn't shoot it because it was too small. They did this same thing for like 4 more days. Two days later they started getting restless due to all their "hard work" and still no bulls. But then they saw a bull from camp but it wasn't legal. Then the last day of camp another bull came by their camp and they actually went after it and walked about 200yds from camp and called it in. The one brother with an open tag smoked him with his bow.

So yes they did finally use a bow but as far as leaving camp and walking with it the answer is no. I describe their moose hunting in a negative way but then again they did shoot two nice bulls that I would love to have in my freezer and on my wall so in the end they were successfull. Their tactics did work.