Dropped the hammer on a NEW PACK!

jpratt

FNG
After much research on "what pack to get" I ordered a DT2 in multicam yesterday. It all started with wanting to have a pack that would let me stay in the backcountry more than a day or two and still be ok to day hunt with as well as haul a reasonable load of meat and gear back out. With back country hunting not being a topic around many water coolers here in michigan I started my search with the computer. Some pack review type searches lead me to this thread on bowsite by this ELK REAPER guy who seemed to know what he was talking about when it came to both hunting the back country and your pack and gear needs. From there it snowballed from articiles in mags by Aron Synder and many other threads and eventaully to this site. I spoke on the phone yesterday with Aron for his opinion on what would be best for my needs and we settled on the DT2. He is a great wealth of information and extremely easy to talk too. This site is extremely helpful as well, especially to the folks just starting out. My hat is off to the people that run this site as well as the posters that frequent it with there knowledge. Thank you all for your help!! This is a great site!!

Shrek

WKR
Congratulations , that Elk Reaper can pimp with the best and he pimps the best :). He has saved a bunch of hunters from bad equipment and saved them a ton of money in the long run.

OP
J

jpratt

FNG
I agree will guys. Looking forward to it. I never regret spending the money on great equipment. Buy it right, buy it once!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah Aron knows his stuff. Hes helped most of us out a time or 2. Good thing I live close to him. I can call him to come over and have him show me how to do some of this stuff =-) haha. You made a good decision. I run a standardard Timberline 2. Love it.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations , that Elk Reaper can pimp with the best and he pimps the best :). He has saved a bunch of hunters from bad equipment and saved them a ton of money in the long run.

I know you are right, but somehow, he keeps me spending money.

Shrek

WKR
Yes , but you can't blame your pimp for your sex addiction and you can't blame Aron for your gear junkie fixes. If you want top gear Aron will be your huckleberry :) No stepped on Vietnam packs for your junkie fix from Aron ;)

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes , but you can't blame your pimp for your sex addiction and you can't blame Aron for your gear junkie fixes. If you want top gear Aron will be your huckleberry :) No stepped on Vietnam packs for your junkie fix from Aron ;)

Man crush?

Shrek

WKR
When I think of all the awsome gear Aron gets to use and then look at my pitiful scraped together stash I can't lie , I swollow a little hard :) . But I just started this new addiction and given time my stash will get better. My Bikini and 4800 High Camp is on its way , so I got that going for me :D

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
When I think of all the awsome gear Aron gets to use and then look at my pitiful scraped together stash I can't lie , I swollow a little hard :) . But I just started this new addiction and given time my stash will get better. My Bikini and 4800 High Camp is on its way , so I got that going for me :D

Holy shi..... Did you just say swallow hard?

Shrek

WKR
Holy shi..... Did you just say swallow hard?

You know , my mind is always in the gutter . I fact I'm proud my mind has never gotten to the point I could see over the top of the gutter but not THAT gutter ! Thanks for dragging me there , my mind is going to take a shower now and I will pray for you ;)

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
You know , my mind is always in the gutter . I fact I'm proud my mind has never gotten to the point I could see over the top of the gutter but not THAT gutter ! Thanks for dragging me there , my mind is going to take a shower now and I will pray for you ;)

Ha ha. Well, at least you have a sense of humor.

ridgefire

WKR
I am torn between the bikini frame with the 4800 high camp or the dt2 bag.. which would be best for me? I would be carrying meat maybe 20% of the time I am wearing my pack and mainly hunting out of base camp but going on bivy hunts of up to three days with the possibility of up to a week. what would be the best for me, comfort as a day type pack being the priority. currently own the siwash but looking to upgrade. sounds like the same pack that jpratt ordered.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
4800, DT2... either way, you will be fine. Personal preference.

Now, had you asked 4800 or 7000...well, my response would be different.

OP
J

jpratt

FNG
I'd watercooler talk with you about backcountry hunting and I'm in the mitten!

I just might take you up on that. I get down your way a couple times a month. What pack or packs do you have? I would to put my hands on one to check them out. Thanks, Jerry.

OP
J

jpratt

FNG
I am torn between the bikini frame with the 4800 high camp or the dt2 bag.. which would be best for me? I would be carrying meat maybe 20% of the time I am wearing my pack and mainly hunting out of base camp but going on bivy hunts of up to three days with the possibility of up to a week. what would be the best for me, comfort as a day type pack being the priority. currently own the siwash but looking to upgrade. sounds like the same pack that jpratt ordered.

I had the same question. I prefered the DT2 for the side and front pockets for organizing stuff better, rather than digging things out of main bag. It was more to do with day pack mode when your pack is compressed down so you could access gear with out getting into the main bag. Just my thoughts, either way will work. Aron was a great help in the decision process.