Dropping Camp early

Do any of you drop camp a week early before a season? I was thinking about putting my canvas tent up early this year. Have you had any issues with people messing with your gear? There is only a few camps where I go every year and it's the same people. :)

2ski

WKR
There was a thread just recently about someone bitching about people saving their spot...lol

Can't win.

11boo

WKR
Just finished up a 3 week archery hunt. There were guys setting up for rifle season in early September. Cheap camp trailer was the common drop camp. I have set up a few days early in the past, but gave up on it since I always find a good spot without doing so. I noticed Forest service had tagged one of the campers for the two week thing, so be aware of that.

cnelk

WKR
Man, up in Wyoming the past couple weeks, there are campers, 5th wheels, atvs, SxS left for weeks at time with no one around.
Looks like a damn campground in many areas.

Throw up a clothes line with some dirty socks and you'll be good. :)
You'll fit right in with the other Covid Campers

rayporter

WKR
over the years i have known of a few.

one was pretty hidden from most folks and they would leave a wall tent up of 5 or 6 weeks. they finally got a visit by the forest service and disappeared.

another i was friends with set up about 2 weeks before season and had just enough contact with the occasional horse picketed out that it was not bothered. camp was in a wide open and popular area. on occasion friends would come in at the end of first season and use the same tent for second season.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If it’s not a heavily used area, the forest service will usually issue a 30-day permit. I’ve had no problem getting them in most areas. It’s basically a two week extension over the standard 14 or 16 day stay. I think the permit was free too.

Never had any problems with gear but only leave cots/tent/stove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk