Dropping out of the WY moose race

I lived in Wyoming for 5 years and had a blast hunting up there. Once I left and figured out what a money grab they have in place for non-residents, I never did put in for another tag in Wyoming, even though I would have liked to. The cost to buy PP up there is beyond ridiculous.

BuzzH

WKR
I lived in Wyoming for 5 years and had a blast hunting up there. Once I left and figured out what a money grab they have in place for non-residents, I never did put in for another tag in Wyoming, even though I would have liked to. The cost to buy PP up there is beyond ridiculous.

Yeah, almost as bad as Nevada...

Yeah, almost as bad as Nevada...
Yeah, it is expensive but miraculously you might have a chance to draw a deer tag in NV after a few years. I have a buddy who moved away from Wyo but still kept buying points. Had 15 points for elk and decided he’ll never draw so he dropped out
last year

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
This argument is why the draw for hog deer in my state is raffle only. They considered points but didn't want to dissuade people or make it unattainable for new hunters.

Took me 8 years to draw, know two guys that drew primo blocks first year and a guy who's applied 30 years without a draw. Luck of the game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have only considered Wyoming for the last few years since I moved back to the lower 48- having flyfished and backpacked out there a lot it and having done NOLS out there seemed like a no brainer. My dad is out there about a month every summer fishing, I know people to hunt with, etc. got looking at regs and pricing, etc and at the end of the day- I’d rather drive around Wyoming than through it. I don’t fish backpack or recreate there. No longer go visit friends there. No interest at all in being part of their revenue stream in anyway shape or form. Looking at one more NOLS course on the GI BILL in Lander and never to return. I wonder what the winterkill situation would look like in wyo if they didn’t have thousands and thousands of nonresidents who will never hunt there paying to feed all there animals all winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
I think the worst part of the WY issues isnt even WY. for me is all Cumulative and WY repesents is only the lastest salt in the wound. Seems like there is no turning back the tide on how Monetized hunting has become.

LostArra

WKR
Yeah, it is expensive but miraculously you might have a chance to draw a deer tag in NV after a few years. I have a buddy who moved away from Wyo but still kept buying points. Had 15 points for elk and decided he’ll never draw so he dropped out
last year

That seems unfortunate as I thought the max points for elk in Wyoming now was 12.

It appears that people are in agreement that preference point systems are flawed from the hunter's perspective (not Wyoming's perspective, it's a money maker). So is a totally random lottery draw the preferred method or a bonus point system? Maybe someone smarter could set up a poll. I'm interested in what folks think is a perfect method to allocate a limited number of tags.

Last edited: