DRT - deer shot placement?

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
I am curious about the high behind the shoulder shot that drops deer right in their shadow. I've always aimed behind the elbow/crease that is where the heart is. I don't always hit the heart obviously but I've had deer walk around after being hit fatally. I have seen videos where the bullet placement is ~7-8" higher and their but drops first and then the front. Down Right There. I've heard that it happens due to hydrostatic shock to the CNS/spine and of course lungs. I like to eat heart so I'm going to switch to this on deer for now. Any experience? Words of warning or wisdom?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Move the shot forward a bit to break them down. Look at an anatomy picture, there's a junction where the shoulders, spine, and a huge cluster of nerves come together.
I've only done it a couple times but think it's a valuable shot when deer are close to property lines. Even a perfect heart/lung shot they'll go 50-100 yards no problem

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
For deer and Antelope, a bullet hitting at 2800-3000 FPS in lungs has always put the animal down, not another step. For me thats been true.
.264 win mag nosler 100 gr

never really shoot past 300 yds

I am not much of a rifle hunter but I have had two deer taken in that fashion in the last year. Both quartering away and had damage to the offside shoulder meat.

I think the best shot is the double lung, especially in archery. Had my share of missing the heart by inches, and either losing the deer, or taking out the front quarters.
When the rib cage presents itself in a way that the entrance and exit path, miss the front and rear quarters - there's your shot!

double lung all day long. No loss of meat and, with proper bullet choice, they drop on the spot.

I hate having to cut around ruined meat and find bone fragments.

Rich M

WKR
What caliber are you shooting? I've found that deer rarely move after taking a hit from a 30-06 with 150 gr cup & core bullet at 2,900 fps. Same thing with 357 mag 158 gr XTP flat point at 1900 fps - for whatever reason, this load is a deer dropper.

I also shoot 243 and 350 legend - so far, neither have just rolled em over. Working on that with diff bullets.

High shoulder shot will anchor deer but you give up at least 1 shoulder of meat. Cheap insurance on finding a dead deer, just some guys complain about it. I'll gladly sacrifice a shoulder.

mauserfan

FNG
I shoot to break the shoulders. I hunt the bush on foot and most all shots are at a moving animal. Mostly use a 30-06 / 180 Accubond @ 2820fps though many have been shot with a .30-30 and 150 Barnes. Animals are in the 175 # dressed and up range.

KurtR

WKR
i place the shot according to circumstance. If i need a quick anchor high shoulder and if not double lung

I shot head on this season. Bullet entered close to center below neck, and traveled most of the body. She still went 30 yards.

Chris B

Lil-Rokslider
Strait up the front leg 2/3 to 3/4 up the body , high shoulder . Use monos, x bullets, GMX'S very little meat loss and DRT .

MiPublic

FNG
I also shoot 243 and 350 legend - so far, neither have just rolled em over. Working on that with diff bullets.

I'll gladly sacrifice a shoulder.
I've shot a .450 bushmaster the last two years and of the 4 deer I've taken, 3 have dropped on the spot, one was a double lung/heart nick and it ran 50 yards and died in mid-air.

I'd prefer to not track, and if need be, I'll also sacrifice a shoulder to make that happen. Plus, watching a deer drop on the spot is so damn satisfying. If I need more meat I'll just get another antlerless tag.

Zappaman

WKR
I am a weirdo I guess because I hunt with two bullets. The bullet in the chamber has a frangible (Nosler BT) bullet. OK... WHY do I do this? Because IF I get a fast close shot (no time, have to be quiet) I can EITHER take an armpit (rear lung) shot or my more preferred head shot out to about 150 yards. If I DO NOT hit the shoulder... it's a dead deer right behind the shoulder (in the "armpit" *if it's running). But I prefer the head or upper neck shot when close on a standing (still) deer). The frangible bullet expands FAST and works nicely on head and neck shots for this reason.

BUT... in my pocket are several rounds of "long range" loads with copper (Barnes) bullets (or similar) that I have time (and can make a little noise) to reload for longer shots where I will typically take the rear lung shot (hate shooting shoulders). But if it's THE trophy deer... then I take the shoulder shot to insure it's going down.

This "method" allows for clean meat in MOST kills I make, but if the trophy buck (rarely) shows up... I can take the faster rear lung shot with the Nosler if on the run (closer in), OR the slower "quickly loaded" Barnes shot to the shoulder (past 200 yards).

I honestly have not taken a trophy buck in 15 years (they have to be VERY mature OR they stay IN the gene pool- "got to walk it like I talk it"). And most cull bucks and does taken the last 15 years or so have been head/neck DRT, otherwise they took in in the rear lungs NOT hitting shoulder (or guts!) out past 200. But if in the blind on a rest (up to 200 yards) I LOVE hitting them between the eyes (like we always bragged about when we were kids) ;)