Drug Cartel on Public Land

Kilboars

WKR
Great podcast on Mexican Cartels on JoeRogan. Talks about how the demand for drugs in the US has decimated and destroyed the country of Mexico. Explaining the lawlessness, killings and total control and corruption by drug manufactures/cartels to keep up with demand from America. On this demand of illegal drug use in the US, Joe Rogan said Americans are so stressed out working in cubicles that they need the these drugs just to relax after work. Classic pro-weed JR

very sad and twisted

jspradley

WKR
That's one of the many, many reasons we "need" to have a chemical escape from the situations we have put ourselves in.

Imagine how the demand for drugs and alcohol would shrink if more people gave the middle finger to society's expectations and lived a life that satisfied them instead of killing ourselves for the fake American Dream and having to numb ourselves because of it.

Kilboars

WKR
True and a great start is stop watching 24/7 news. get off Facebook, instagram, Twitter etc etc.

I'll fast from news for a few weeks and it's amazing how much happier I feel and more productive in things I really care about.

All the news and social media stuff is really geared towards people "not going after it".

I imagine the frequency of illegal grows will fall off now that marijuana is legal in CA.

They addressed that as a common misconception in the podcast. Now that it is legal, it’s regulated and the govt has their hands in it people still go the illegal grow route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
They addressed that as a common misconception in the podcast. Now that it is legal, it’s regulated and the govt has their hands in it people still go the illegal grow route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on what? The folks I know in Mendocino County have said the price has fallen through the floor since legalization occurred, so there is not a lot of profit incentive currently.

There are lots of reasons for that happening in California to a degree that it's not happening elsewhere. One reason is there's still a large market in the states that only allow medical, or don't allow any at all. California, in terms of a good climate to get good quality and high yield, is to weed what Iowa is to corn. It's further complicated by the way California implemented it, leaving a lot of things up to the city government, with over 80% of them choosing not to allow legal weed retailers to set up shop. There are also a lot of businesses that did well during the medical-only days but struggled with new regulations and licensing fees and such that came with recreational sales/consumption being legalized. Then you have the high tax rate on weed - over 30%, which means that setting up an illegal shop can be pretty lucrative even in cities that allow it, since you skirt license fees and taxes. It's complicated. My hope is that legalization happens federally, or at least that the holdout states continue to come around, ideally learning from mistakes made by the early adopters, but in the mean time I feel for LE in CA and elsewhere trying to play whackamole.

ODB

WKR
That's one of the many, many reasons we "need" to have a chemical escape from the situations we have put ourselves in.

Imagine how the demand for drugs and alcohol would shrink if more people gave the middle finger to society's expectations and lived a life that satisfied them instead of killing ourselves for the fake American Dream and having to numb ourselves because of it.

Right. We are masking the symptoms of a sick life.

I think we’ve yet to see the full violence of the cartels here. And I think legalization will speed it up. Just like a star burns brightest before it explodes, the pressure on cartels will make them take more and more extreme action to protect their $$$. I can see late night visits to pot dealers from cartels telling them to buy from the cartel or their kid gets killed. I can see cartels themselves opening shadow stores selling 25% legal and 75% cartel drugs. I can see cartels poisoning/threatening legal growers out of business. There is no depth to the depravity of these people. And with THC content on the rise, the youth of today will be lolled into drug use before the prefrontal cortex is fully developed which result in middle aged adults with reasoning and coping issues.

MtGomer

WKR
Based on what? The folks I know in Mendocino County have said the price has fallen through the floor since legalization occurred, so there is not a lot of profit incentive currently.
And there is less profit when you are complying with regulations, inspections, fire code, paying taxes and growing it on property that costs money to own or lease vs just illegally planting it on public land, paying no lease and complying with nothing.

ODB

WKR
random grows like this around Eugene area (go figure)
and now the discovery of anti-pancreatic cancer qualities in marijuana ?

Can’t conflate recreational, high THC, high-effect pot with medical. That would be like conflating meth and Sudafed. It’s worth the effort to understand these things are are not the same.

If you really think about it, medical marijuana was the gateway drug to recreational pot. People pushing the medical angle were really just snowballing things into recreational. And they knew it, were disingenuous about it, and through persistence and their opponent’s fatigue, won.

The gun/hunting battle is being fought the same way...

Last edited:
It's nowhere near the same as conflating meth and Sudafed. Sure, different strains have different amounts of different cannabinoids, some more useful than others for medical purposes, but even the high THC strains are not even close to being to the stuff used for medical treatment what meth is to Sudafed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
It's nowhere near the same as conflating meth and Sudafed. Sure, different strains have different amounts of different cannabinoids, some more useful than others for medical purposes, but even the high THC strains are not even close to being to the stuff used for medical treatment what meth is to Sudafed.

The point is that medical and recreational pot are quite often talked about in the same sentence as if their purpose was the same; they aren’t. One is for treating an damaged body, etc, under the care of a doctor, the other is for altering one’s reality and serves no medical purpose. They should never be talked about as if they serve the same purpose even though they have a similar source...like meth and Sudafed.

The point is that medical and recreational pot are quite often talked about in the same sentence as if their purpose was the same; they aren’t. One is for treating an damaged body, etc, under the care of a doctor, the other is for altering one’s reality and serves no medical purpose. They should never be talked about as if they serve the same purpose even though they have a similar source...like meth and Sudafed.
I see what you're saying, the two uses are different. For example, I would be ok in specific instances giving a kid something tested for epilepsy or something whereas for recreational use I don't even know if I'm ok with 21 year olds using at all.

ODB

WKR
I see what you're saying, the two uses are different. For example, I would be ok in specific instances giving a kid something tested for epilepsy or something whereas for recreational use I don't even know if I'm ok with 21 year olds using at all.

100%. If you read the actual studies from the legit medical community you get a sense of caution because we’ve literally never been where we are with pot. If you compare the pot of 50 years ago and today, they aren’t even close. This is not reliving the 60s...we are in a whole different universe.

Malcolm Gladwell had a fantastic piece on this very thing in The New Yorker. The nutshell is “we don’t know what’s going to happen.” And that’s really troubling given it’s popularity and the current trends.

MattB

WKR
The weed grown in California and exported to other states for sale.

I highly doubt it. My friends in Mendocino and Humboldt counties have been telling me growers still have 2018 crop they can't move and had 2017 crop left when they were harvesting in 2018. I am not saying it doesn't happen, but to suggest legalization hasn't impacted illegal grows is off the mark based on what I am hearing from ground zero.

I highly doubt it. My friends in Mendocino and Humboldt counties have been telling me growers still have 2018 crop they can't move and had 2017 crop left when they were harvesting in 2018. I am not saying it doesn't happen, but to suggest legalization hasn't impacted illegal grows is off the mark based on what I am hearing from ground zero.

The guy on Rinella’s podcast said as much. Did you listen to that or read his books?