Dry bag for quarters

WyoElk

WKR
I’m looking to get a dry bag to put quarters in and keep blood off my pack. I’m not worried about blood on my pack but I get tired of washing it multiple times a season and it’s alway between hunts with a short turnaround. I know a contractor bag would work too but I would prefer a dry bag. I also use a load shelf (EXO pack).

My question is about the Outdoor Research 55L bags. Will one bag be big enough for 2 elk quarters bone in or should I get 2? It’s not uncommon for me to take 2 quarters along with back straps. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe if you de-boned the meat you could fit two quarters. I generally don’t and have never tried to fit two but I think it would be too tight

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Keep my gear/spare clothing dry and clean. Before I had a meat shelf I’d put the quarters in the main bag on top of the rest of the gear. I’d prefer my stuff not soaked in blood if I can help it

OP
W

WyoElk

WKR
Keep my gear/spare clothing dry and clean. Before I had a meat shelf I’d put the quarters in the main bag on top of the rest of the gear. I’d prefer my stuff not soaked in blood if I can help it

That’s the same reason I’m looking. Just trying to keep blood off my pack so I’m not washing it multiple times a season. It can double to keep things dry prior to packing meat with it.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll probably pick up 2 for those times I come out heavy

N2TRKYS

WKR

That's what I use heavy duty trash bags for. I've been carrying them in my turkey vest for years for that very reason.

I was just wondering why the dry sack over the trash bag.

OP
W

WyoElk

WKR
That's what I use heavy duty trash bags for. I've been carrying them in my turkey vest for years for that very reason.

I was just wondering why the dry sack over the trash bag.

Just for easy packing I suppose. I don’t really think there is any advantage over a contractor bag though. Serves the same purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have a reason for that, trash bag would work great too. I started using dry bags and have continued to use them. I think the OR bags are more durable

N2TRKYS

WKR
I'll usually have at least 2 trash bags in my pack when I get to hunt out West. Unlike here, there's usually snow. Lol. I'll put my pack in one after I get to my spot to sit for a while. If it's not actively snowing/raining, I like to lay my food and warm layers on one of the bags, so I don't have to go digging in my pack during my sit.

As far as the turkey vest trash bag. It's double duty, as well. Most areas I hunt are wet, so I use them to sit on the stay dry. Then I put my turkey in it before it goes in my vest.

I do agree that my dry sacks are more durable.

Mike 338

WKR
I used Stone Glacier meat bags (sil-nylon I think). They'll leak unless you use a fairly thin trash bag for additional protection. I ran out so I did get some leakage but otherwise, a light trash bag on boned out meat worked fine. I don't care about blood on my pack but it's just as easy to minimize leakage with an additional thin bag so why not?

Randle

WKR
I carry a drum liner . This year when I shot my bull my hunting partner did not have one. I gave him mine and I used my 5x5 ground tarp ,that worked well in a pinch . Next year 2 drumliners in my pack. or if you find a good dry bag let is know

Banker

FNG
Alaska game bags, hang them to cool or lay them down in the clean snow if possible . Once everything is ready, line the pack with a large heavy duty garbage bag, carefully fit in each game bag to get good weight distribution, load up and hike out. get the game bags back into the cool air as soon as possible.

4ester

WKR
Ive tried to use the SG meat bag but its too small for most of what i do. For small elk and cows you can get one bone-in quarter, but big bulls and a second quarter will not fit. i gave up on the bag.

I dont care to debone if I dont have to, as after aging you lose more meat to trimming. Depends on how far the packout is also.

I just let the pack bloody until the end of the season. With the SG's X-pac material and load shelf, its not super messy. The pack is meant to be used and I just accept that fact.