Dry Fire! :( & ?

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
I have been shooting Bows for years. I have spent many lunches at a bow shop shooting and I have seen it all and always shake my head and sometime snicker. And it always seems no one will fess up and they say their friend did it.

Well I did it to my own bow. First mistake: could not sleep so I started making arrows at 2am.. 2nd mistake: I decided to shoot the arrows and practice on form at 2:30 am.. 3rd mistake: I decided to do it with my quiver on for the first time this year. I loaded my quiver and after handling an arrow I guess out of habit and tired that it just thought I nocked one. Drew back and let it rip. BAM! I instantly new what a dumb _____ I was at that moment.

Lucky me that the cable stayed on but my string did derail. Now I need a new set of string and cable... also need to get my bow checked out. I think it looks good to me. the wheel has just a teeny tiny bit of wiggle.....Is this normal?

littlebuf

Banned
no making arrows and at 2 am and then blowing up your bow with a dry fire is not normal.....sorry couldn't resist. get that thing checked out and fast elk seasons pretty much here

That sucks man! What type of bow do you have?

I kind of dry-fired last year. Was coming to full draw and my draw arm faltered forward and popped my arrow off the string which was then enclosed in my rest. My D-loop was too worn as well and when I twisted my wrist it frayed and slipped through my release firing the bow at about 60% draw. Screwed up both cams and I had to get new ones... Definitely a crappy feeling!

Mike

OP
Tookeymonster

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
That sucks man! What type of bow do you have?

I kind of dry-fired last year. Was coming to full draw and my draw arm faltered forward and popped my arrow off the string which was then enclosed in my rest. My D-loop was too worn as well and when I twisted my wrist it frayed and slipped through my release firing the bow at about 60% draw. Screwed up both cams and I had to get new ones... Definitely a crappy feeling!

Mike

Mathews Reezen

OP
Tookeymonster

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
no making arrows and at 2 am and then blowing up your bow with a dry fire is not normal.....sorry couldn't resist. get that thing checked out and fast elk seasons pretty much here

LOL, I deserve it. I was pumped up after just getting back from a great scouting trip too.

G Posik

WKR
Take it to your shop and have it checked out. My guess with new cables and string will be about all you need. On my drenlin it had a little play in the wheel and cam. I was told it was suppose to be like that according to Richard at Bowzone. As long as the groove in the cam and wheel look good you might need a brass washer or something like that. The limbs they say can take the dry fire. Like said above hurry up the season will be here in a couple of weeks. good luck on the quick fix.

Glenn

OP
Tookeymonster

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
Nice, The Bow Zone is where I spent all those lunches shooting. It was 10 minutes from my office. Richard is a great guy and the best Bowsmith (Archery Tech) or what ever you want to call them. Next time you see Richard tell him Tookemonster said Hi.

sk1

WKR
I dirt fires when my release broke.....archery shop says it looks great but so far I have my sight adjusted all the way over and still shooting left. Either I changed my form with the new release or I think maybe a cam or something is messed up? But it paper tuned beautifully if that counts for anything

G Posik

WKR
Will do, do not get there much anymore since I shoot Trad Bows only. I have some buddies that stop by there and I tag along.

Glenn

OP
Tookeymonster

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
Got strings installed yesterday, and took 4 shots at 20 yds and all hit the x! How lucky is that? Now I just need to check 30,40,50, and 60 pins.

OP
Tookeymonster

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
30, 40, 50, and 60yd pins needed no adjustment! I even backed out to 70 and was zipping in the papper plate. I have never heard of such luck. Winners Choice strings are great.....not sure if that has to do anything with it other than th pre-stretch.