Dry ice

Fitzwho

WKR
I haven’t, but am seriously thinking about it for my September Pronghorn. I know you put the dry ice on the bottom of the cooler to keep things cold and on top to freeze items. So depending on what your plan is for how long you’ll be at camp, you can use it either way.

Lawnboi

WKR
Dry ice won’t last long, but it will freeze everything solid. If you can get your hands on it post kill, a few blocks on top of your ice and meat in the cooler it will freeze it all solid

OP
R

Riles1050

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input so far. I'm going to be at camp for possibly 9 days. There are two tag holders so trying to find the best option if one of us tags out early and need to keep the meat until the end of the hunt. Generally bring coolers full of frozen milk jugs.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Dry ice will last longer if you seal up the container. Last time I used it was to keep something frozen from Ft Lauderdale FL, to Central KY. Used one of those Styrofoam cases that Omaha Steak Co uses. Only used half a package of dry ice. Taped around the seam and there was still dry ice after 20 hours.

Two years ago we packed frozen elk meat in cardboard boxes, topped with dry ice and taped up all the seams. Placed blankets and jackets around the three boxes and the dry ice lasted the 40 hour trip.

If I am lucky enough to get an elk this year, I will have time to process it and freeze it at my son's house in Colorado and will use the dry ice trick to get it home.

FURMAN

WKR
For long trips I usually get 20-30lbs of dry ice and place it on the bottom of my cooler(make sure your cooler is compatible). Then I put another 20-30lbs of ice on top. The dry ice sublimates faster than ice melts but is much much colder -109 vs 32. I find the combination will usually get me by for over a week in temps up to 90 as long as I am not opening the cooler every 10 minutes. As stated above make sure not to let anything you do not want frozen touch the dry ice.

rayporter

WKR
pretty much what rfurman24 does.
take your milk jugs and add some Dry ice when you get there and the jugs will freeze solid again. if you plan ahead and wrap the dry ice in a bunch of news paper it will last several days longer.[ as will your jugs]