Dry Ice

How many pounds do people normally use for say a 110L cooler? Or a large white igloo cooler from Costco? This idea intrigues me and I’ve never tried it before. So this might be the year…

It usually comes in 10 pound blocks. I put 3 blocks (30 pounds) in each 100 qt ice chest.
How many pounds do people normally use for say a 110L cooler? Or a large white igloo cooler from Costco? This idea intrigues me and I’ve never tried it before. So this might be the year…
After I pack the coolers with the frozen (wrapped and labeled ) meat, I put the dry ice on top and tape the ice chests closed with duct tape. We leave for home the next day, and it is a 2 day drive, so the meat stays frozen for the 3 day trip. When I get home, I just dump it in the chest freezer in the garage. It is frozen solid, and I always have some pieces of dry ice left in the ice chests. I have the meat in mesh laundry bags, separated by roasts, ground, and steaks (each in separate bags). It's easier to handle-just grab the bag out of the ice chest and put it in the freezer.

Not sure what you will be able to fit in a 110L. IF you can get a whole elk in there (I doubt it), you won't have any room for the dry ice. I split my meat up into three 100 qt, which leaves me room for the 30 pounds of dry ice in each. But then again, the less air space in the ice chest, the better. If the meat is frozen, it is best to have as little air space as possible, and be sure to cover the top of the packing (whether it is meat or insulation) with towels, newspaper, or something to insulate and take up dead air space.

Last edited: