Drybag for meat hauling? 65L. Dyneema?

180ls1

WKR
Does anyone use a dry bag or have suggestions on a dyneema bag for hauling meat? I know it does not breathe but I was hoping for something that will keep blood off my pack that I can use when I am 1-2 hours from the truck to get the meat out. I generally de-bone the animals I kill. Up to 100lbs of meat would be good so I am open to size suggestions.

I suggest using a black contractor trash bag. Works great , cheap, light, and can line about any size pack out there if hauling meat in the pack.

If you want to make your own dyneema bag, rip stop by the roll has some tutorial videos. You’d just have to scale up the size and reinforce the seams probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
I suggest using a black contractor trash bag. Works great , cheap, light, and can line about any size pack out there if hauling meat in the pack.

If you want to make your own dyneema bag, rip stop by the roll has some tutorial videos. You’d just have to scale up the size and reinforce the seams probably.

I am planning on using the meat shelf. Will a contractor bag keep it all in there? I am a little woried that it would rip/spill. No?

Ya it works great that way too, exactly the same way a game bag would work but you’re using a black plastic trash bag. I’d suggest using game bags still, and just dropping the game bag inside the contractor bag when ready for the trip to the truck.

I always keep 3-4 extra at my truck depending on how many trips I expect so I have a fresh one for each load.

tdot

WKR
I made my own Dyneema meat bag, it was extremely easy and after 2 seasons, there's been zero leaks. Its big enough to take the hide and head from a 250-300lb black bear. I like the zero stretch aspect. I'll make another one this year that is tapered, to help keep the meat higher. I think there's maybe $20 worth of Dyneema in it. Less then 2oz.

I put the meat into game bags, and then that goes into the dyneema bag, then into my pack with the rest of my gear. Zero blood, zero mess. Easy. Pull the game bag out and hang as normal.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
All my meat and/or quarters go into game bags to hang, and then when I haul them I put the game bags into a white trash compactor bag. The white prevents the sun from heating up a black bag, and they are 3mil thick so plenty tough to handle the pack jobs.

Last edited:
I use a Kifaru Meat bag to give structure to boned out meat.

The Kifaru MB is then put inside a slightly oversized Dyneema roll top stuff sack, with taped seams. This keeps blood from getting on other stuff in your pack. This system has worked well on sheep sized animals. It’s lighter than contractor sized garbage bags, which are really oversized and obnoxious to deal with.

For larger sized animals (moose), I’ll use contractor sized garbage bags....but don’t carry anything else but meat.

Clarktar

WKR
I made my own Dyneema meat bag, it was extremely easy and after 2 seasons, there's been zero leaks. Its big enough to take the hide and head from a 250-300lb black bear. I like the zero stretch aspect. I'll make another one this year that is tapered, to help keep the meat higher. I think there's maybe $20 worth of Dyneema in it. Less then 2oz.

I put the meat into game bags, and then that goes into the dyneema bag, then into my pack with the rest of my gear. Zero blood, zero mess. Easy. Pull the game bag out and hang as normal.
Where do you get your Dyneema? Any pictures of dimensions. I'm interested in cobbling something together. Can I use a glue stick, it's my preferred tool.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
I purchased all of my Dyneema from Ripstop by the Roll. I've used double sided tape, which is silly easy. I'm only aware of 1 or 2 glues that are compatible and they come in smaller tubes, not glue sticks.

Yep! The big OR one Kifaru sells. It's a must! Not sure on a Dyneema one but that'd be nice for saving a couple oz. The OR bag is just bomb proof though!!!
It's a must keeping the pack clean on a long hunt. Especially if you're going to pack multiple animals out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm new to this, so please excuse my stupid question. Do you use the double side tape instead of sewing? Do you need a sewing machine at all to make a dyneema dry bag?

I purchased all of my Dyneema from Ripstop by the Roll. I've used double sided tape, which is silly easy. I'm only aware of 1 or 2 glues that are compatible and they come in smaller tubes, not glue sticks.
Unfortunately they are very limited on the DCF that they have in stock and apparently, like a lot of things these days, DCF is getting harder and harder to come by lately. Here's another option if Ripstop doesn't have it.

If you aren’t set on dyneema then look at dry bags from OR or mystery ranch. They contain the load to a good width for a meatshelf.