Drying out guywipes?

Randle

WKR
When you need them ....They should be ready to go.
If on the move you are rehydrating with water you are already carrying so no i dont dry them out first.

Anvil69

WKR
When you need them ....They should be ready to go.
If on the move you are rehydrating with water you are already carrying so no i dont dry them out first.
Now this makes sense! I was wondering this very thing while going though gear the other day.

hunt1up

WKR
I like a clean butt so baby wipes are a must have for me. On a weight sensative trip to AK I dried out 3 packs of walmart baby wipes. It saved a lot of weight. We had plenty of water around camp so rehydrating was easy. I could usually just wipe the dew off the tent and they'd be good as new. So drying them works great so long as you have enough water to juice them back up.

Drenalin

WKR
I've heard of people doing this, but I haven't tried it. I take blue shop towels and if I need a wet one, I get it wet.

For an idea of weight savings, I compared dry shop towels to Sea to Summit Wilderness Wipes; it looks like you would save about 1 ounce per twelve wipes carrying dry goods instead of wet. Imprecise comparison, I know, but it was as far as I needed to go to reach a conclusion. I think drying out wipes is overthinking things until you get into really long durations, but I had to overthink it to reach that conclusion.

I don't know about losing active ingredients with drying out wipes - I guess most have aloe in them along with some other stuff. Based on my experience of dish rags drying out, then getting sudsy when they are rewetted, I think the wipes will bounce right back if you decide to dehydrate them.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I dry my dude wipes out, put them in a zip lock and the rehydrate when in the mountains, I think they work just as well, I could see alcohol wipes losing effectiveness but the cleaning ones not so much. It’s not a huge weight Savings but I don’t see any point in carrying the extra.

bcnorth

FNG
i found a pack of wipes that were left open and dried out (from baby days) and packed them for a sheep hunt. I re-hydrated them when i wanted with my water bottle and my ass did not know the difference lol. It was accidental but i realized for those that drill holes in thier toothbrush, this is a must. I am sheep hunting in september and it will save weight - but i will probably just take a small pack of wet wipes and not think about it.

Clarktar

WKR
i found a pack of wipes that were left open and dried out (from baby days) and packed them for a sheep hunt. I re-hydrated them when i wanted with my water bottle and my ass did not know the difference lol. It was accidental but i realized for those that drill holes in thier toothbrush, this is a must. I am sheep hunting in september and it will save weight - but i will probably just take a small pack of wet wipes and not think about it.
I do the same. Or I just use them dry. I find with the wipes my finger doesn't poke through as much compared to plain old T.P. taken from the roadside outhouse enroute to the trail head.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've been using some compressed toilet paper coins I got off Amazon. They are about nickel sized in diameter dry and expand when you get them wet.