DT1 has arrived.....initial thoughts.

Only things I could see myself removing would be the divider and hydration sleeve. Though I like to think that the divider will serve the purpose of keeping meat up off the bottom of the pack in the future. Right now though i can usually just compress the sleeping bag compartment with the lower compression straps and it keeps that space small enough to prevent meat from balling up down there.

However I have not yet hauled meat and camp in the pack at the same time. I like the idea of the shelf still to keep that weight elevated. Even with sleeping pad and bag in that compartment I think a load of boned out meat could work its way down there.

At only a few ounces of weight savings, pack will stay as is for at least another season.

Mike

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
HC - I like the idea of keeping the meat off the very bottom too.....but do you really think that sleeping bag divider velcro will hold up 80lbs of meat? i just dont see it.....If i decided to cut it, it would purely be because i dont see a point to it, being that it doesnt zip or attach differently than it does. If it's going to separate the two, i wish it totally separated them so nothing can get through.....being that it doesnt, removing is a thought in my mind, but ill definitely wait on that until using it next season and decide. I think the best thing is compressing the bottom like you said if you dont want the meat down there.

I would be money that it would hold 80 lbs of meat but maybe wrong. I had a front elk quarter Plus half of the neck meat and backstraps/tender loins inside my T1 with the pack completely empty. Granted I had the lower straps cinched up before loading but they never budged. There's a few companies out there who's whole suspension system is hung by Velcro. I have confidence in it ;)

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't know if a bone in rear quarter of my elk plus my gear was 80lbs, but the velcro did just fine. It will hold likely more than your knees can. I was skeptical at first as well, but it did the job. Mine is a LH G2, but its the same concept.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep, it will hold 80lbs of meat. Using the compression straps will help, but you should be using those anyway. I've had over 150lbs hold during testing.

I cut mine out because the bottom compression straps will tighten enough to keep the meat from going to the bottom anyway,

Yep, it will hold 80lbs of meat. Using the compression straps will help, but you should be using those anyway. I've had over 150lbs hold during testing.

I cut mine out because the bottom compression straps will tighten enough to keep the meat from going to the bottom anyway,

Good to know! How much weight do you think the hydration bladder and sleeping bag divider account for?