DT2 Loaded and Bonsai Scouting Trip

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Brown truck arrived today and delivered my DT2 Bag just in time for my bonsai scouting trip. I quickly attached it to my Duplex Frame and being as anal as I am, had all my gear waiting to pack in it. I posted all my scouting gear in a previous thread and it all came in at 42 pounds except for the clothes on my back.

I packed everything in the pack that will be in there for the ride and it weighed 37 pounds. Five pounds of the 42 didn't make it as I will be wearing and using them, like my binoculars and trekking poles.

So trip goes like this: 5am wake up call for start of 10 hour work day at 6am. Get home grab my gear, load my rig, give my kid a hug and kiss and off for a six hour drive into Nevada. Hopefully get to the trailhead at about 11pm. Sleep until sunrise and head into the wilderness for a six mile pull up to a high mountain lake. Short break to eat and fill all my water and up to the ridge for my dry camp. I will stay in or around this area on the ridge until monday morning around 10am. Take off for the trailhead and should be there by 1 or 2. Drive back home and hopefully arrive by 7 or 8 at night. Throw my stuff in the garage, shower, sleep and back up at 5am to go to work.

This is a pretty normal routine for my scouting trips where I don't take any time off of work.

10 days later, I will do it again in a high county mule deer area here in California.

If all goes well I will post up some pictures of some velvet clad big boys next week......

Curtis C

WKR
NO PICS? Your kidding right?;)

Wont be doing any scouting with mine since the bag is scheduled to get a here a few days before season. Should have the frame next week so at least I can start getting it fitted.

Enjoy your trip! be interested to here about it and the pack

C

a3dhunter

WKR
Doing the same thing this weekend, headed from Amarillo up to Colorado, will get to trailhead around midnight. The only diffference is I have to be home Sunday night for work monday morning. Hike in Saturday and out on Sunday, 12 hours driving time total.

Good Luck.

Ozz08

WKR
I just did the same thing last weekend with my T1 here in the sierras. Found some deer but I fear the area I checked out will be crawling with people come opening day. Have fun and be safe!

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry Curtis, but it looks just like every other DT2, so I wouldn't be showing anything exciting. I have had the Duplex frame and suspension for many years as I used to run a Longhunter bag from it. I know it is adjusted, so it should be smooth sailing.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Right on man!!! Looking forward to trying out my DT1 here in a week (its at the PO Box but I'm at work for another 6 days) and since Becca's pack is off for repair work she'll be using my T1 which I know has 7200 cu instead of her KU 5200 so I get to cram 2000 cu in more stuff in her pack. :D

2rocky

WKR
No that is what the pine trees look like where Doug does his glassing. He meant Bonsai....;-D

JNDEER

WKR
What a shame........opening weekend to hunt in some awesome 98+ degree weather and your off looking for mule deer!

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Larry I am no wordsmith....Whatever the correct way may be, I wont be pruning any tiny trees. This is my last post for a few days, work over, truck packed and heading out for the drive to Nevada.

JNDEER, that is why I don't hunt A Zone, that heat is miserable. My Mule Deer tag in California will probably have a little, rain, sleet, snow, wind, you name it, but I wont get the heat.

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
Did the same thing over the 4th. Drove 14hours over, hiked in, spent the night, hiked out, drove the 14 hours home. Planned on staying through the weekend but had to move my dad into his new house, so the Banzai was on.

chiefhoyt

FNG
Stuck in the south for my internship for the A zone opener and is absolute torture! My dad will be occupying my stand and hope he looses an arrow in about 12 hrs!

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verizon rocks...I am on a 10k foot mountain in a Nevada wilderness and have 3G service. Saw about 12 deer just walking in and glassine here and there. Just about 6 miles and 3k feet in elevation. Tonight had ridiculous thunder, lightning and rain right on top of me. Made for some good video. Saw about 30 deer tonight glassing from my bivy camp, 10 bucks or more. Coyotes are lighting up the night at the moment.

Yeti

FNG
That's awesome!! I've had the same luck with Verizon as well. Sounds like your having a good scouting trip.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Made it back and have to say it was OK at best. Saw a total of about 50 or so deer and about 15 bucks. None of the bucks were huge, but a few shooters for me. I decided I need to get further back. I was about 6 miles back and there will be plenty of people in there as it seemed easy access. A couple more miles off trail should get me to a spot where there are no trails within about two miles and that should thin the crowd. A few pics of the camp, country and bucks...

DSC01603.jpg

DSC01593.jpg

DSC01599.jpg

DSC01613.jpg

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If someone can tell me how to post videos I will attach some of the weather changing in about a 5 minute time frame....