You folks that have switched to the DT3, what is it that you like better? I like my longbow a lot, but am considering this switch. I almost placed an order for the T3, but Aron has probably talked me into a DT3 with the bikini frame.
here is why i switched....
1) the longbow is 2200 CI, if you put a tripod and/or spotter in there, you are down to about 1000 CI left over.
2) It is half the size and a LOT heavier
3) the hip belts tore me to pieces
4) the baby-short NICE frame was way too short for me and was not great with heavy loads.
5) The accessories and modularity of the kifaru system are more varied and far superior.
6) To switch to the bigger 6500 bag, you are looking at a 10+ or 11 pound pack, the DT1 adds only ounces over the DT3
7) The black coating on the zippers on the tri-zip began to kind of peel away, I am not sure if that had any functional problems, but though I would note it.
8) The DT or Bikini frame makes owning any other pack frame a waste of time.... with my Longbow I NEVER left my pack frame at home, the nice frame is ok, but it is way too difficult to set up as a hauler for dedicated hauling duties, and when you do, you have no load lifting and it is uncomfortable.
what I liked more about the Longbow...
1) I love the tri zip and the ease of getting into the bttom of the pack
2) they are made in Montana, my home state
Overall, other than the fact that it is a bit harder to get to stuff at the bottom of the pack, there is NOTHING I would trade about the DT3.
Joe, so the waistbelt is more comfortable? How do the frames compare is stiffness? I have heard that the duplex is much stiffer. One more question, is the waistbelt & shoulder straps thinner on the Kifaru?
I also like Mystery Ranch cause they are made in an excellent part of the country. I knew several people in Bozeman.
The belt is wider but thinner, but because of that it wraps around your hips better and contours better when tight. I also feel like it stays tighter this way because you aren't having to try and compress all the foam. It is much more comfortable. I dont have the Nice frame anymore, but i think the shoulder straps are about the same thickness, they seem about the same, but you wont notice the ones on the Kifaru as much because they have functioning load lifters that take the weight off of your shoulders.
Functionally the two frames are both very stiff, the Kifaru may be a bit stiffer but I don't really know what difference it makes. I have never felt like the Kifaru was holding me back becuase it was stiff.