Dual purpose chest binos.

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
First time post!

If I do the majority of my hunting for white tail on the east coast, with the occasional yearly? hunt out west would 8x be more appropriate for getting dual use? I feel 10x isn't appropriate from the podcasts I've listened to.

I'm torn between putting the bulk of my money into a good spotting scope or a great pair of binos. I have about 1300 to use. I could push to 1500. Would prefer to get a better model used than a inferior new.

I like the idea of using a tripod for binos though too. Im getting into digiscoping though too. I'm rambling. I want binos. I can still do the hunt with binos and no spot scope. Cant do with only spot scope and no binos.

Lots of hunting equipment out there second hand. I try to go used on everything. Help ke pull the trigger. Weight conscious too! Ultralight where I can compromise.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NoWiser

WKR
8x all the way for your needs. A GOOD pair of 8x will show you everything and more than a budget pair of 10x all while being steadier and having a better FOV.

My hunting is split 50/50 MN and out west. I started with 8x and drank the kool aid of needing 10x for out west. I immediately regretted my decision. Sold the 10x and replaced with 8x SLCs and I’m much happier. 8x Conquest HDs would be great, as well.

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
10x isnt appropriate? Take that with lots of salt.
More of what the post below stated, about stability and FOV I suppose. I'll be using them more in the North East because thats where I do the most hunting. Very wooded.

pc3

WKR
I just purchased some Meopta Meostar 10x42 HD's........got them yesterday gee they are pretty nice for the money around 1k give or take depending on who has sales etc.

Youd be hard pressed to get better IN that price bracket before going all the way to Swaro EL's....Im not sure SLC's (Ive looked through a pair) are that much different in performance. I think you need to go to EL's to get that BIG jump.

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased some Meopta Meostar 10x42 HD's........got them yesterday gee they are pretty nice for the money around 1k give or take depending on who has sales etc.

Youd be hard pressed to get better IN that price bracket before going all the way to Swaro EL's....Im not sure SLC's (Ive looked through a pair) are that much different in performance. I think you need to go to EL's to get that BIG jump.
EL is definitely what I'm looking at thus far. It was between the 8x and 10x and I'm leaning heavily towards 8x.

I used 8x42 on a tripod. A tripod will definitely benefit even 8x magnification. If you do go 8x, definitely get a tripod stud mounted on the binos. Kramer Designs little tripod is steady and light enough to help your glassing game if you don’t want to go full size tripod.

Jimss

WKR
If I didn't have a spotting scope I'd have the largest power binos possible! I have both binos plus spotter next to me every scouting and hunting trip. I would sell gear or other stuff you don't use or save and buy both! As you mentioned buying almost new will save you gobs of cash and you'll be able to afford a better quality glass.

samolot

FNG
Not much of a hunter, but I've had MANY bino's in the past. I agree that once you settle on a tripod, you'd want the highest magnification possible, but that'll sacrifice the field of view. I believe for hunters and nature observers, you want a wide field of view to find what you're looking for. Enter the power 8. A perfect balance between field of view and power. Put them on a tripod and they won't disappoint you. Hand-held, its a no brainer. The Swaro EL is certainly nice, and believe it or not, you are within their budget. The second hand market is the place to go for EL's. Swaro's customer service is extraordinary beyond belief and will refurbish your bino's to pristine condition should there be anything wrong with them. Stay patient and a good deal will come your way.

One of my favorite binoculars ever: 8x32 EL

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
Find you a set of swaro 8x32el. And if you push to 1500, that’s in your budget. And that extra 200 will be so worth it. I’ve tried 10x42 el side by side with the 8x32, and they were dead even in everything except size....the 32s did everything the others did, but in a smaller, lighter package.
Be patient and get you a used set of swaro 8x32el. With swaro’s customer service, it’s as good as buying new. Which is a huge part of swarovski....they stand behind their glass whether you are the original owner or not. And that is why they hold their value.

Outwest

WKR
I’m assuming you mean dual purpose East/West glass? And not Spotter/Bono dual purpose...

If you are going to skimp, just don’t. Buy the best binoculars you can afford and wait on the spotter until you can afford a good one. You will find yourself leaving it at the truck, especially if you have top tier binoculars.

I would say if you want actual dual purpose binoculars, go with 10’s. They might be a little tight for close timber in the East but I doubt you will notice. 10’s will also be MUCH more versatile out west. I’ve always felt that 8’s are easily outgunned when you’re looking over bigger country.

Used slc 10x42’s or meostar 10x42s.

I highly doubt you will ever regret extra power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samolot

FNG
I had the Meostar 12x50 HD and can vouch for their glass and quality. They have great customer service too. Czech quality really shines here. A 10x42 would be lovely. Also easily mounted on a tripod and ergonomically up there.

There is a used 8x32 EL Swarovision (pre-FP binocular - but absolutely no difference in glass, just accessories) for 1599 on Ebay.

Another nice option frequently overlooked is Kowa. They have some of the best spotters in the market. Their high-end binoculars (Kowa Genesis Prominar) are very well regarded for the price. They are little-known because they don't budget towards marketing accordingly. Strictly Japanese made. I have their 8.5x44.

Trying binoculars is almost a hobby in itself.

OP
G

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
I had the Meostar 12x50 HD and can vouch for their glass and quality. They have great customer service too. Czech quality really shines here. A 10x42 would be lovely. Also easily mounted on a tripod and ergonomically up there.

There is a used 8x32 EL Swarovision (pre-FP binocular - but absolutely no difference in glass, just accessories) for 1599 on Ebay.

Another nice option frequently overlooked is Kowa. They have some of the best spotters in the market. Their high-end binoculars (Kowa Genesis Prominar) are very well regarded for the price. They are little-known because they don't budget towards marketing accordingly. Strictly Japanese made. I have their 8.5x44.

Trying binoculars is almost a hobby in itself.
I wasn't aware Meostar was a Czech company. I've always shot very well with my CZ 557 Sporter and have 0 complaints about it. Are all these binos available to try out at a place like field and stream or a cabellas? Cabellas is a bit of a hike though. I have a hard time finding anyone around upstate NY that may have any of these for me to try out.

samolot

FNG
I have at least a half dozen mid line optics. If I could start over I'd just do 1 nice pair of 10x Swaros

Curious - what optics do you have? I do agree that one fine pair of optics trumps all.

I wasn't aware Meostar was a Czech company. I've always shot very well with my CZ 557 Sporter and have 0 complaints about it. Are all these binos available to try out at a place like field and stream or a cabellas? Cabellas is a bit of a hike though. I have a hard time finding anyone around upstate NY that may have any of these for me to try out.

Meopta has very nice glass and wonderful customer support based out of long island new york. They also offer a substantial discount to military vets and first responders. Cabela's does carry the meopta line, rebranded as their own, but i would recommend getting a genuine meopta binocular. They tend to be a bit heavier than the competition but they are tremendously good value.

For the price of a new meopta, you can probably score a used swaro SLC. something to consider.

As for where to try - id recommend calling a good dealer (sportoptics.com comes to mind) - talk with a sales representative - pick and buy three binoculars - try them out and return two. They should offer free return shipping.