Duck Bacon

Final duck season came back in last Thursday and since then I have had 2 limits of mallards. Considering they had some decent fat on them I decided to make some duck bacon. 4 plump mallards left me with about 1.5# of bacon and .25# of trimmings I will turn into duck bacon bits for salads, bake potatoes and what not. It's been cured, smoked, and sliced it's ready for the frying pan.
20191215_192613.jpg20191215_192538.jpg

Is this something you have done before or is this a trial run, it sounds interesting. Where did you get the idea.

OP
Sccritterkiller
When a was younger there was a gentlemen up the holler that would always use fat mallards to make bacon and I always wanted to try...came across some fat mallards or they came across me and found a reciepe on DU and gave it a try and turned out great.

Ashue2214

FNG
Hmmm that is interesting never seen it before. Let us know how it turns out

OP
Sccritterkiller
How did the skin turn out? I've made something similar, but never with the skin on.
Skin is the best part it and the fat crisps up mighty deliciously.
My only regret is waiting until this year to try as the cut or daily mallard limit in half..only get 2, 1 hen.

Elk heart hash with eggs and duck bacon.
20191223_200436.jpg

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
I started making duck bacon two years and its awesome. You can do it skin on or skin off. I've done it both ways.

Here is my recipe
6 duck breasts (skin intact)
1 cup kosher salt
1 table spoon insta quick
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoon crush peppercorn
2 tablespoon used coffee grounds

Combine all ingredients , prick the duck breasts and rub the mixture over the duck
Place in ziplock bag and place in fridge for 12-24 hours. turn bag over a few times
Remove breasts and rinse well with water. Air dry in fridge 2 hours
You can either place in smoker (low temp under 150 degrees)
or bake in over for one hours at 200 degrees