Duck boat

Perrin713

FNG
Looking for opinions on a new duck/fishing boat. Would like a boat that could handle 2’ waves on the big lake to running shallow water. I’m leaning towards a LUND Alaskan but would like to hear what others use.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I always wanted a Gatortrax duck boat. Never did buy a boat, though.

They build custom boats, so they should be able to build what you want.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I have a TDB 17’ classic. I use it for both. Very stable, roomy and can handle rough big water well. You can see it in my profile pic.

SoDaky

WKR
I've had a few Lund Alaskans and used one for years hunting ducks on Lake Of The Woods.It worked on big water hunting Bills and shallow rice back bays on Mallards and Woodies.Decent fishing boat as well.It does ride 'rough' in waves(my wife calls them 'double jog bra' boats) but you'll get there safe.Maybe wet,but safe.
Edit:There are many 'trade off ' questions in your inquiry.For instance,the relative 'lightweight' of the Alaskan series with their high sides makes them work in shallow water for waterfowling but also renders them harder to control in the wind when fishing.Similar trade offs when deciding on tiller vs wheel,and particularly size and brand of the main motor.(again,for instance,one particular brand works good when backing in weeds putting out decoys etc while others don't)If I can help feel free to PM.

Last edited:

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
It's hard to beat a War Eagle...and you can buy them in about any dimensions you can come up with.

OP
P

Perrin713

FNG
Thanks for all info. Too many boat manufacturers out there now a days. Even have debated on buying a old mv hull and building it from there.

SoDaky

WKR
Perrin just saw your response.Years ago when I lived on big water in Mn(Leech Lake)I did buy a MV 16ft hull and built a 'combo' hunting/fishing rig.Had a friend do most of the work(handy guy)but I did the design-complete with running lights,custom seating,decoy racks,the works.Even had a sort of custom trolling motor up front that was easy to cover when hunting yet removed easily if necessary.(quick easy disconnects common now but not then and mine was pretty heavy)
Sadly it ended up too heavy and handled more like a tank than boat.So,if going that way,don't go overboard(pun intended)on weight and I'd start with at least an 18 footer.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Reach out to Danny Thibodeaux of Legendcraft Boats. Simply talk with him about your needs. Can think of no one more knowledgeable or objective or down to earth than Danny. Living legend.

P.S. Not the same living Legend as Robby. Just saying.

Mark

WKR
Reach out to Danny Thibodeaux of Legendcraft Boats. Simply talk with him about your needs. Can think of no one more knowledgeable or objective or down to earth than Danny. Living legend.

P.S. Not the same living Legend as Robby. Just saying.

For a versatile duck/fishing boat, the Legendcraft boats would be a great choice.

I ran a Xpress duck/bass combo with a console 16ft , loved it and would recommend Xpress . Sold it when we had our son, I knew the next five years I would have a lot less time hunting. My next purchase will be a Gatortrax, hunted and fished out of them, fantastic piece of work.

Jimbo2312

FNG
Well, we have a similar situation on the Mississippi, with big waves and shallow water. Our old 17' Mod V ($1500 with trailer) has gotten us out of every pickle we've been blessed to have gotten out of. There are definitely better setups out there, but ours works pretty well. I know the small boats hide better but safety first man

Oregon

WKR
I have a 1860 G3 jon boat with a 60hp tiller.
2’ is wet but safe. 4’ is wet and almost dangerous.
I have been 5 miles out in the ocean in it in the Pacific and Atlantic. Great design for boat blinds to attach, and very stable shooting platform.
Problem with most boats is the people running them struggle to understand weather forecasts and how to run a boat in weather.

Seeing how a hung a shiny new 50 horse Suzuki on my 16’ 1987 hull I’m obviously a big fan of Lunds.

If money isn’t an issue and your looking at a lifetime investment get a built to order Wooldridge.

Rich M

WKR
Where you are from will make a big diff on what you can get for aluminum boats. West Coast guys have some incredible boats that we can't get on the east side of the world.

I have a 1998 Lowe 16 ft V hull - V nose and flat bottom, high sides - NOT the chickenbreast john boat version. With 25 hp. It's been from ME to Key West and many points in between - ugly drab green Parker DB paint. Will run 1100# of people + 10-15 dozen decoys and get you there and back. Does bang a bit on the waves due to light weight. We've always run V hull boats cause dad never liked the low sides on a john boat. Bought it new and still using it. Tilt the motor up and float in 6-8 inches with 2 guys in there fishing or get out and push/pull it - will draw less.

I've run some mudflats with it - motor on edge of drop and side of boat on mud, buzzing along at full throttle - fun stuff. We've had a lot of fun in that boat. Use it for ducks, near shore, intracoastal, and backwater type fishing.

Recently decided to get a LUND SSV 18 with 60 hp. Yes, still a light hull and will slap if not careful but the 18 will run better offshore than a 16 due to bridging the gap on waves. Did tiller and am planning to convert to side console in a few years or sooner.

The Lund Alaskans are heavy boats, need larger motors, and won't slap nearly as much. Nice boats.

Anyway - if you are wanting to float skinny, have sides and protection from eating a wave in 2 ft chop, then a 16 V hull with a 25 would be a cost effective answer to your need. 16 is better than 14...

A used one would be even better. I recently saw a 16 Alumacraft V hull with 25 Yamaha 4 stroke, 2013 or 2016, BMT for $4500 - that's a rig that'll last a long time, use little gas, and give great service - though long about it but decided to run with the Lund.