Duck Call for Locating Turkey

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt on a 50 acre tract near Dallas Fort Worth and while it sounds small, it's rural and has duck, turkey and whitetail on it. I know the rio grandes roost along the creek often and one morning I heard them as soon as I got out of my truck. I heard them after setting up in my duck blind every once in a while but when I started using my mallard call at day break, sure enough the dang turkey would respond. Every single time, just like a crow call. I have some video of it and found it interesting. So I don't know what reason I'm posting this other than I found it interesting and if someone finds themselves turkey hunting and can't find their crow call, I guess you may be able to try a good ol duck call too.

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Ha ha. That's awesome! I've used a short reed goose call to shock gobble birds. Might have to get out the duck call and open up with a hail call, see what happens!

dtrkyman

WKR
Have used a wood duck call and a goose call. Makes sense though I have not used it.

We used to hunt behind a country club, we would park in the back of the club house and beep the horn and slam the car doors, worked like a charm!

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Ha ha. That's awesome! I've used a short reed goose call to shock gobble birds. Might have to get out the duck call and open up with a hail call, see what happens!
put a little squeal in it and sound like a hen turkey. They will gobble at it from a long way off

I hunt near DFW too and our turkeys get fired up when we duck hunt nearby. Makes for some fun hunts. They gobble at the calls, at the shot, and when you blow the dog whistle. That said, I haven't found locators work nearly as well here as they do in the east during the spring for whatever reason. Some days in the spring they just scream their faces off and don't need a locator but on the days when they're quiet I haven't found anything that works well besides a hen turkey call. Could be worth a try.

Yarak

WKR
Occasionally I’ll use a peacock call to shock gobble them
Does a good job scaring other hunters too

If it's early in the season and the specks are still around I use a speck call because it's high pitched and carries a long way. later in the year when the specks have migrated out I switch to a honker call because we always have locals. -- Specks are louder and more vocal than crows esspecially before daylight. Honkers are usually vocal near where I hunt right at day break coming off the roost so both are very natural. Forgot a crow call one day and had both goose calls in the truck. Used them out of necessity and I haven't blown a crow call since. Goose calls are super effective.