Duck Camp Camo

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I just don’t understand how companies enter a market and charge more/same as established brands. I’m sure it’s top notch gear, but why move away from something that’s proven??
I'm not sure what established brands you're referring to. Sitka, First Lite, Kuiu?

bozeman

WKR
Correct. I’ve used Sitka and Kuiu for years. I’ve also used Eddie Bauer and other hiking companies for years…..just makes me scratch my head that’s all…..

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Correct. I’ve used Sitka and Kuiu for years. I’ve also used Eddie Bauer and other hiking companies for years…..just makes me scratch my head that’s all…..
I don't know, I figure every company starts out new at some point.

I dont know about everyone else but I saw great reviews for one of their items, bought it, was extremely happy with the item and the customer service and I've been hooked since buying new items one by one.

I'd say the price is reasonable for the quality I've experienced and certainly isn't any greater than Sitka or First Lite. That's not to say everything from Duck Camp is that good. I've found in my experience different companies have different items that are better and worse...for example I like my Kuiu pants better than my Duck Camp ones, but I prefer my Duck Camp hoodies. If you're going to be in truly deep cold/wind you're probably better of with Sitka, it just all depends.

But I also love Eddie Bauer, L.L. Bean and Kuhl. I like to mix and match my outdoor clothes

Last edited:

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I just don’t understand how companies enter a market and charge more/same as established brands. I’m sure it’s top notch gear, but why move away from something that’s proven??
Duck Camp has been around for a few years now, but didn’t start off going head to head with any of the established brands. They started off with their own niche, lightweight gear built for Southern hunters and fisherman, and then branched out as their gear gained notoriety for its quality. They were basically the camo version of FreeFly for a while, offering lightweight bamboo gear and quality fishing shorts and pants.

With that said, I own plenty of Kuiu, Sitka and First Lite and I would put Duck Camp in the same category for certain pieces of gear. The Barnburner Merino I would actually say is better quality than the First Lite Furnace series. Their Bamboo layers for humid areas are incredible.

Last edited:
OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
Update: Bought the reversible down vest. Fit and look is great, just waiting for some actual cool weather to put it through the paces.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I've been looking at the DC stuff - How is the fit? I mean like for an
anorexic vegan or more like for Neanderthal's (me).
Seems like most of the Bouji camo lately is for skinny jean types.

TSAMP

WKR
I'm 5'9 and 165. So a small Neanderthal or a husky vegan. Medium fit like it should.
I snagged a medium t shirt and it fits nicely. I've always been in-between M/L for those and I think their medium T is perfect. Good length and fits well in the chest and tapers slightly so it isn't baggy.
I dont have any pants but I'd say they're going for an athletic fit based on the shorts and T's I have. Not quite Kuiu athletic tho.

Met the guys that own it and looked their stuff over. I’ve got a pair of their shorts that ended up being too small and gave them to my son. I was very impressed with their merino stuff, but didn’t get to try it in the field. I looked at carrying it in our store but the initial entry point was too high for what I’d die with it. Seemed like good folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
Looking at that pintail plaid flannel shirt, but that thing better
last a decade for 120$.

Just a follow up on the rain jacket. Initial impressions are very good. I’m 5’10” 175, purchased a large and the fit was great. Room to layer a mid weight shirt, and base layer. It’s not tight in the arms or shoulder area. The finish is a non glare dull finish as well. I haven’t tried the jacket out in the rain yet but it’s a very nice piece of rain gear. Best wishes

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider
I used the bamboo blaze orange longsleeves this past summer for my Axis Deer hunt on Lanai. I loved it. It was super soft, breathed really well and kept me cool during the day. They also held up well to the brush and thicket better than expected. I will be buying more of the bamboo hoodies in the other colors/camo for everyday use and archery hunts.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Got my son one of those bamboo "Hoodie", more like a long sleeve
shirt things and a fleece neck gaiter in Woodland.
He's 6' and the L fits him fine.
Said he's loving it.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I'll say that everything I've gotten has fit me well. I'm 6'1, 230-240 lbs depending on the week. I have broad shoulders that can sometimes be a problem. I have gotten pretty much everything in XL and I've been happy with how it has fit, with room for a few layers. I would say the cut is athletic looking, but generous.

My only hesitation is I haven't bought any pants from them, the pants look like they could fit a bit in the "skinny jean" crowd. The XL bibs fit me very well though.

OP
Windrunner17

Windrunner17

Lil-Rokslider
I used the bamboo blaze orange longsleeves this past summer for my Axis Deer hunt on Lanai. I loved it. It was super soft, breathed really well and kept me cool during the day. They also held up well to the brush and thicket better than expected. I will be buying more of the bamboo hoodies in the other colors/camo for everyday use and archery hunts.
I have two and they're perfect for early season here when everything else is too warm.

Follow up on the rain jacket…. Very impressed to say the least. I stood out and coached football all morning in a steady down pour for approximately 5 hrs. Not once did it wet out. I put my Skre 850 puffy under it the other night and there is plenty of room for it plus a base and mid layer. Love the pockets and ventilation as well. Best wishes , hope this helps

Sankacoffee

Lil-Rokslider
I have basically replaced all my First Lite and Kuiu with their stuff and a few casual things too. I've got a rain jacket, puffy jacket, wool, fleece vest and hoodie, brush pants (really just duck canvas), vantage pants, and some hats and shirts.

I guess that makes me a fan boy, but I switched everything over for two reasons. One, I am 6-4, 225 and have a hard time finding things that fit and Duck Camp fits me better than most other brands for even casual stuff. Two, I had a rip in a down coat and then they sent me the wrong color wool. They sent me brand new replacements for both and said to keep what they'd already sent.

I also just think the stuff is good quality and looks good on me. It's not the most lightweight but that's not my biggest concern anymore, and when I next do a long trip I'd probably supplement with some lighter gear. I was just in Houston and went to their store and got the same great treatment I've had with online customer service too.

Sankacoffee

Lil-Rokslider
I'll say that everything I've gotten has fit me well. I'm 6'1, 230-240 lbs depending on the week. I have broad shoulders that can sometimes be a problem. I have gotten pretty much everything in XL and I've been happy with how it has fit, with room for a few layers. I would say the cut is athletic looking, but generous.

My only hesitation is I haven't bought any pants from them, the pants look like they could fit a bit in the "skinny jean" crowd. The XL bibs fit me very well though.
For me the tops seems slightly fitted but not slim, and the fact they have tall sizes is a huge plus.

I would say the pants fit a little looser than First Lite, although this year's pants look a touch slimmer. I have thick thighs and glutes so pants are a big issue for me and they fit me great. The Vantage pants are maybe a touch wide at the bottom, but like I said this year's look a little slimmer based on the pics.