Duck carrier?

I'm debating on which duck hunting carrier. The one with metal rings on rope or the metal ones you slide their heads into. Don't want them falling out when setting them up and down. Pro and cons for both would be great! Thanks.

Honestly it is hard to probably go wrong with either. I have one of the tangle free ones that you slide the heads into. I havent had like any fall out or that. Depending on where I am hunting I usually hang it on something in the blind and if I walk in somewhere I attach it to my pack. I dont have a ton of days where I shoot limits but mine has worked for me!

OP
T
Honestly it is hard to probably go wrong with either. I have one of the tangle free ones that you slide the heads into. I havent had like any fall out or that. Depending on where I am hunting I usually hang it on something in the blind and if I walk in somewhere I attach it to my pack. I dont have a ton of days where I shoot limits but mine has worked for me!

Ok, how many large mallards can you fit on your carrier? My friend uses the one you explain, but the other string ones caught my eye.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I use an old McAlister with the metal hoops that I've had for close to 25 yrs. Never had a duck fall out of it. I'm sure the ones with loops work just fine too but this one's still going strong.

YwT08kf.jpg

I like the metal ring sliders a lot better, however sometimes we end up hunting with people that pull the heads to dispatch them in which case the cinch cords seem to work good enough over a foot.

OP
T
The smart number would be that it will hold up to your limit on it. No sense giving Green Jeans a reason to write a ticket.

I hunt with my brother and dad. So was asking that in case we shoot more than 8 birds total together... 8 would be great though for it to hold.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a bigger fan of the metal ones where you slide their heads through. I found it to be more secure than the rings + paracord which can slip on occasion. Very annoying when they slip out on a long walk any you have to set your other gear down to collect the dropped duck before resuming the walk.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Make your own? You can control how many holders there are and personalize it - easy off season couch work while the wife watches some reality TV show....unfortunately, I don't have a good pic of my strap - I made it with paracord using a cobra weave for the base and then over-wrapped with king cobra for a wider band around my neck shoulder. Used 4 cords as core with metal rings tied in for 8 bird loops - not had issues dropping brds but maybe I just got lucky with the ring size (seems to hold aove the knee just fine). Tied in a D-ring for hanging in the blind with a 'biner. Also used it as a coyote drag. Also you can choose to hang them from the feet or neck.
You can kind of see it in the top of this photo:

Bird Strap.JPG

I also made a matching call lanyard with the leftover paracord.

EDIT: found a bit better pic - cobra weave section with d-ring hanger. Honestly, you could do any number of hangers for the core and tie in any type loop or wire to hang the birds from.
Bird Strap2.JPG

Last edited:
Thats pretty cool. I never thought about making my own carrier. I have made several of my own call lanyards

WCB

WKR
I use the metal ones you slip the head into. I think we get 10-12 snow geese in one. If you cram birds in it and set it on the ground...I have had birds come out of it. If you put 4-5 ducks on each side shouldn't be an issue. Always bring multiples.

Oh man a few weeks of crap hole mud fields in the spring and carrying out 50-100 birds a day in those things sometimes one on each shoulder and one around your neck....

I use a homemade version of the ones with the individual loops and have never had an issue with it. My problem with the wire ones is if you bend the wire a little bit (cuz I'm hard on stuff) they won't always fit a smaller bird like teal or buffleheads.

Holocene

WKR
I had a beautiful leather game strap once when I first started duck hunting. Lost it in the marsh at some point.

A work friend gave me a used one that’s an inexpensive neoprene band with the two long metal loops and it’s been great the past 4 years. Lots of ducks and plenty of 7 mallard limits on there with no issues.

Aesthetically, custom leather straps are gorgeous.

Functionally, the lightweight neoprene and metal straps can’t be beat.

I'm debating on which duck hunting carrier. The one with metal rings on rope or the metal ones you slide their heads into. Don't want them falling out when setting them up and down. Pro and cons for both would be great! Thanks.
I have both,but love the old leather one with rings on it. It's the old-school look.

I had a beautiful leather game strap once when I first started duck hunting. Lost it in the marsh at some point.

A work friend gave me a used one that’s an inexpensive neoprene band with the two long metal loops and it’s been great the past 4 years. Lots of ducks and plenty of 7 mallard limits on there with no issues.

Aesthetically, custom leather straps are gorgeous.

Functionally, the lightweight neoprene and metal straps can’t be beat.
The classic aesthetic vs function debate. I 100% agree that the leather and brass looks are absolutely unrivaled, but you are right that the neoprene and metal ones are lighter, more compact, and much easier on the soul when you lose them in the swamps. Personally I've opted for the individual straps, but I certainly can't knock someone for the other one either.

I have a dozen or so and have had many more dozens over the years. They tend to disapear after getting lent out to ill prepared hunting partners.

Cheap ones you slide the head on are functional but don’t work great with heavy straps and birds do fall off. If it gets turned sideways or upside down (bungeed to the quad on the ride in is when I experience this the most). Teal also tend to slip off if they aren’t at the very bottom. Where they shine is quickly hanging birds in the blind to keep them out of the mud.

I always carry 2 straps. A high quality either leather or canvas with paracord droppers. Frankly they are more comfortable with heavy straps and you can always double birds up. I’ve done 6 honkers and 6 big ducks on them before, good luck doing that with a slip one.

Metal rings are actually on the nicer ones are unnecessary and add a failure point. Leather droppers are another failure point. They have to be maintained or they break long before the strap does. Just loop the paracord and cinch tight.

I also carry a cheapo neck slip type in case I feel compelled to hang ducks or if I need to lend one to a partner. I also always keep a second nice one in the truck in case I have the previous days birds hanging in the garage.

The other nice thing about canvas and paracord is they can double as a dog lesh in a pinch. I’ve done this lore times than I can count.

Duck blinds unlimited used to make the best canvas ones ever but they are out of business. After the went under I actually tried a manufacturer to make them for me to sell but they couldn’t get the stitching right.

Kuptup makes the second most functional strap I’ve used and they are gorgeous. Super high quality. Not terribly expensive to customize either. Until someone makes a replacement for the DBU canvas one this is my recommendation.
thttps://www.kuptup.com/strap-designs.html

Last edited:

DuckDogDr

WKR
I use an old McAlister with the metal hoops that I've had for close to 25 yrs. Never had a duck fall out of it. I'm sure the ones with loops work just fine too but this one's still going strong.

YwT08kf.jpg
Nice strap.. man I love hunting the timber . Heaven on Earth.

I made my own and made one for my buddy out of paracord with rings