Duck identification

Best way to Id them in the air is just learning and watching the patterns different types of ducks fly in. Teal and mallards fly very different. Pintails generally have lot longer looking necks. Just find characteristics of each species that stands out from the other ducks a d it will get easier over time. Listen to the noises/calls they are making as well. Even hearing the wings helps alot. Golden eyes make a very distinct noise when they are flying. Barrow goldeneye make a slightly different noise then commons do. Luckily in ak where i am at we can shoot 8 of what ever we want for puddle/diver ducks except for cans which there aren't many any ways and I have yet to see or shoot one up here. Sea ducks are much easier to id compared to puddle/divers

In the spring time go out to the lake or ponds and try to I'd them in the air then take binos and see what they are. Just takes alot of field time and even then it can be tough.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
It's already been said, but it takes time and experience. Keep at it and it will get easier. Different species fly and react differently, they sound differently, and all of those differences get easier to pick up on over time. Show some restraint and let them circle an extra time or land in the decoys if you need to get a better look at them.

maybe someone could come up with an app that you just aim your iphone camera at it and it tells you what kind of duck...

Oregon

WKR
True story. I lived in Michigan for a few years(great state by the way). My very first duck season there and on opening day I was set up on a little lake. By this time in my life I had 20 duck seasons under my belt. Shoot time comes and 1 minute after LST a pair of mallards does it perfect. I always shoot the back bird first(usually the drake) and the close bird makes for a guaranteed double.
I was stoked! 1 minute into my first MI duck season I doubled on mallards.
stupid dog brings back a blackduck first. I just shot my first black duck ever(west coast kid). I was on cloud 9. About halfway back with the 2nd bird it dawned on me. Black duck limit was one.
I kept sending that dumb dog back but she never found those 2 mallards I shot.

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
The statute of limitations has now passed so I can tell this story.

My oldest boy was 12 and wanted to go duck hunting, so I took him out to some dirt tanks and go over the dams and let him shoot what comes off the pond. My son had his single shot 20 ga and I had on over and under. On the first tank we go over the dam and the boy shoots, then I shoot twice. By the rime the dog picks up all the ducks, we had 17 widgons

FLAK

WKR
True story. I lived in Michigan for a few years(great state by the way). My very first duck season there and on opening day I was set up on a little lake. By this time in my life I had 20 duck seasons under my belt. Shoot time comes and 1 minute after LST a pair of mallards does it perfect. I always shoot the back bird first(usually the drake) and the close bird makes for a guaranteed double.
I was stoked! 1 minute into my first MI duck season I doubled on mallards.
stupid dog brings back a blackduck first. I just shot my first black duck ever(west coast kid). I was on cloud 9. About halfway back with the 2nd bird it dawned on me. Black duck limit was one.
I kept sending that dumb dog back but she never found those 2 mallards I shot.

This is what I'm talking about.

Let them make a few passes if you can. A lot easier to ID a duck you can watch fly around a bit vs pass shooting with a split second decision. More fun to let em work!

Rob5589

WKR
Takes time and seeing a lot of them. Even still, it can be tough at first light. My buddy had been hunting for 20+ years and shot 3 "gaddies" at first light, only to find out they were pintails, with a one pinnie limit. Luckily he was hunting with his brother so green jeans allowed one to go on his card. That extra bird was 680 bucks 😲

A guide I own that's real good is "The LeMaster Method" by Richard LeMaster. This guide is small enough to fit in your pocket and not only aids in identification in flight but in hand as well. It has a neat chart that allows you to identify based on bill size, color and shape alone. Can't remember where I got it but it cost $10.

Although tricky at first a mallard, mottled and black duck are super easy to ID in any plumage. A mallard has two white bars on their speculum, mottled ducks have one white bar and a black duck does not have any.
Thanks for this recommendation. Will be great for my 11-year old daughter for this her first real season out. I'm sure her old-man will find great use as well.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
About the only ducks I struggle with ID on is hen divers. Everything else is pretty simple for me, but I was calling out wood ducks, mallards, and spoonies from the car seat as a toddler driving around with my dad.