Ducks

glass eye

FNG
Ducks are my passion as well.
Grew up hunting them at age 12 in CA near Sacramento. I'm passionate about big game too but lately waterfowl has dominated my thoughts again.
I've been living in SoCal for the last 25+ years but I travel a lot for waterfowl. Headed back to Cold Bay Alaska in January.
Collage 2018-07-12 13_44_14.jpgCollage 2018-07-12 14_13_42.jpgCollage 2018-07-12 14_21_34.jpgCollage 2018-07-12 15_03_45.jpgCollage 2018-07-12 14_27_28.jpg

FLAK

WKR
Ok G-Eye, I need to hear about that gun and those Gallinules (?).
I'm after a Purple and Common Gallinule for the man cave this yeaar.

Wheels

WKR
Love me some waterfowl hunting.. actually I love it for my dogs more than me, they live for it. Only spend about 120 days chasing them between the ducks, honkers and snows.

JeffP_Or

WKR

Now you did it - turning into a pinnie thread! We get a pile of pintail late season in the valley usually; can sit and decoy them all day waiting for that one good one to drop in. The whistling, the circling. Crazy to do for that one allowed bird.

2020._pin1.JPG2020._pin4.JPG2020._pin6.JPG2020._pin7.JPG2020._pin8.JPG

And just to prove SOME diversity - I thought this to be a really nice GW teal drake:
2020._matGW.JPG

Season is coming - this is fun!

JeffP_Or

WKR
What calls do y’all use? Who’s on your lanyard?
You'll be disappointed - I use an old Faulks Duck call and Faulks Pintail whistle; bought them when I started hunting in High School. I only just started dabbling into geese and picked up a Winglock Delrin Goose Whisperer and a Zinks CoD [the zinks came with an instructional DVD! lol] to replace an old PS Olt that I found in grandads gear in the 70's.
I've found it matters less what/who you use in most situations but it is more how you use it. On the public areas I hunt - I rarely call. A lone quack or feed chuckle to finish a bird maybe. Whatever you use/have - match it to the condition and area you are hunting [don't use a loud field call incessantly on crowded public refuge lands or on a small timbered pond] and call appropriately [leave the competition high-balls to the stage performance when the birds are already coming your way].
Of course, every so often you get that bird that just wants to talk!

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with that. It definitely matters more how you use it than what you've got but at the same time a great sounding call can make a big difference. I'm pretty biased though as a call collector and call maker. I started out with a Primos Wench, then an RNT Timbre and a few other calls before finding some small shop makers that make some real good sounding and looking calls and eventually started making my own when the COVID quarantines started. They've quickly evolved into some decent calls also.