Dude Ranch

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if "Dude Ranch" is exactly what I'm looking for but you get the idea. Am trying to come up with a solid family vacation plan for next summer. My wife and 2 girls are trying to grasp why I love heading west to hunt and I thought a vacation that direction may help them understand. At this point my wife and daughters (currently 12 and 10) have shown little to no interest in "roughing it" on a camping trip. Was talking to a friend and he said, "what about a dude ranch?" All that said, is there anyone around that might have any insight into a good one in the Rockies? Thanks.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Look into guide services, too. Some offer non hunting horseback trips in to remote campsites, some of which are far above "roughing it". Wall tents with cots, composting toilets, cooking gear, etc.

I'm trying to talk the family into one of these for fishing.

hunt1up

WKR
My parents took the family out to this place when we were kids: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...rk_Rocky_Mountain_National_Park_Colorado.html

I was 14ish, brother was 12ish, sister was 8ish. They had plenty of fun activities. Horseback riding of various skill, hiking, we did whitewater rafting and other stuff. That was 20+ years ago and I was in junior high at the time, so my memory of the place is certainly stale, but I remember it being a memorable time. There's a ton of places like it. Something like that though would be comfortable and still allow you to venture out daily.

jayhawk

WKR
You should really look into Lost Valley Ranch in Colorado. Never heard a bad thing about that place and very family-centric. They really take care of their guests. They don't offer hunting, but they do have fishing, trap shooting, horse riding, hiking, social events, etc. And it's right in the mountains!

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide coming through in a hurry! Thanks!

Dude ranches seem kind of contrived to me. Plus you're around all those other people. Obviously some people dig it, but when I was a kid my parents just dragged us around National Parks and stuff like that. Day hiking, fishing, and then we'd retreat to a rustic cabin at night, sometimes dining in public and sometimes cooking our own dinner. On one of my favorite trips we hired a guide to take us on a horseback ride up into the mountains. So just the guide and our family. That was awesome. Way better than some trail ride with worn down depressed horses that only know how to stick their nose in the ass in front of them.

OP
R

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Dude ranches seem kind of contrived to me. Plus you're around all those other people. Obviously some people dig it, but when I was a kid my parents just dragged us around National Parks and stuff like that. Day hiking, fishing, and then we'd retreat to a rustic cabin at night, sometimes dining in public and sometimes cooking our own dinner. On one of my favorite trips we hired a guide to take us on a horseback ride up into the mountains. So just the guide and our family. That was awesome. Way better than some trail ride with worn down depressed horses that only know how to stick their nose in the ass in front of them.
agree 100% for me personally. That said, although I'm driving the bus on this one the girls have the final say.

Triangle X near Jackson is great. Very horse centric but after a week there your family will be very comfortable with riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Brush Creek out of Saratoga, WY is pretty nice, all mine loved it for the week they were there, ages 5-12.

Wellsdw

WKR
My wife and I said a night in a vrbo at a quest ranch called Kara creek in Sundance Wyoming. We had a blast just hanging out with the owner. It’s a working ranch first, guest ranch second. People we’re genuine, and the cost of the actual “guest ranch stay” was reasonable.

Paradise ranch outside of buffalo wy is also supposed to be nice.

Bighorner

WKR
I think a wilderness pack trip could be a pretty incredible experience with an off season outfitter.

gabenzeke

WKR
Wilderness ridge trail llamas. They get to hang out with llamas on a camping trip. You could include fishing if they're into that. They do horses too if that's what you're looking for.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
A few near me that I know are well run and are nice. One is off the charts nice.

List of Colorado Dude Ranches

Last edited:
completely agree!