Duffel Bag for Bow

I've been looking for the ideal duffel for traveling with a bow for months. Most trips will be Hawaii, South Africa, with Australia and NZ down the road. After lugging my SKB around for one trip, explaining to idiots that it isn't a rifle, and paying for an extra bag I started investigating flying with my bow in a duffel bag. For those with more experience, what are you using? The few options I've found all have glaring problems.
High Sierra 36" Drop bottom duffels: They make two, both are over Delta's baggage sizing by 6-7". Is this often checked, or can I get around it by compressing the bag down to size requirements? I found one other really nice duffel but it's also oversize. The limit is 62" (L+W+H).
FHF Gear: Their new duffel will fit my bow and make the airline size requirement, but it doesn't have wheels. $400 and no wheels? Maybe I'm lazy, but moving through streets and airports with a non-wheeled duffel and coolers full of meat (in the case of Hawaii) is a PITA. Maybe buy a cheap wheeled cooler and strap it on top?
Badlands no longer makes the Terraglide, and the Sitka Nomad is way over size limits. I'm considering having Rugged Stitching make one, but I'm short on time for my next trip at this point. Any other options, or am I missing something?

Trial153

WKR
I have flown a handful flights with the Nomad, so far I havent gotten dinged with an over charge however I am expecting it at any turn. I rotate with a SKB which gets the nod at times.
I have asked a couple people at sitka to make the updated version Nomad that isnt over sized...we will see if that ever happens. I think a soft bow case in a duffle bag with clothing for padding would work as well as anything honestly. That said the weight of the Case and duffle together is most likely about the same as hard case.
Pick you poison

Cabelas Ripcord XL rolling duffel ((#s) is very large and will hold a 35" A to A compound or two, Kifaru Reckoning pack, Muck boots, clothes for a 10 day Northern hunt, etc. It will hold over 50#s of gear easily, but airlines are particular to want it under 50#s unless your are on Canadian flights to the Arctic where they go to 70#s.

The Ripcord XL is a tough bag and cost $159 a year ago. I haven't checked if they are still available with the Bass Pro owners changing up the product line, but do recommend them as an excellent option.

Brendan

WKR
This exact question comes up every year - lots of threads if you search.

There is basically no bag or case that will fit a bow and stay under oversize limits (technically) unless you've got a short ATA bow and a small bag / case. I've looked. Only one I've found is a smaller SKB that will work with my Triax, but not a normal sized bow.

My opinion: Buy a hard-sided golf bag. Put your bow inside in a soft case, throw in a couple golf clubs, and all of a sudden you're exempt from airlines oversize charges (golf bags have an exemption where archery gear does not) and people think you're going golfing...

I’ve never had to pay a oversized bag fee with my skb cases as long as I keep them under 50#. I leave next Monday for NZ so we will see if my streak continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This exact question comes up every year - lots of threads if you search.

There is basically no bag or case that will fit a bow and stay under oversize limits (technically) unless you've got a short ATA bow and a small bag / case. I've looked. Only one I've found is a smaller SKB that will work with my Triax, but not a normal sized bow.

My opinion: Buy a hard-sided golf bag. Put your bow inside in a soft case, throw in a couple golf clubs, and all of a sudden you're exempt from airlines oversize charges (golf bags have an exemption where archery gear does not) and people think you're going golfing...

I may just throw a sand wedge in my bow case next week headed to NZ and I’ll tell them I have golf equipment

OP
PathFinder
The golf bag is a good idea, I thought about doing that for spear fishing equipment. Cabela's doesn't make a wheeled version of the Ripcord anymore, but they do carry a 36" duffel that's only 3" over the limit. I figure I can compress it a bit and get by. Thanks for the replies.

I've flown to Alaska, Colorado, Texas, Georgia, and South Africa with a Sitka Nomad with no oversize fees. I don't really recommend the bag, but I've found that if you keep it under 50 lbs, they are usually pretty accommodating.

I’m currently sitting at San Francisco headed to New Zealand. I checked my skb double today with no issues. I was even a pound and a half over my 50# limit and they guy goes eh close enough

Talx

FNG
Please note that the 36" duffle will not hold my bow. Its 31.5 AtA. I believe the min you need is a 40" duffle. I'm considering the cabelas water duffle 42". Has anyone used this? And if so, how would you rate it? Thanks

Beendare

WKR
I used to use a Big hard bottom soft top duffle for my compound. ..it works. Now I use the Sitka Nomad.

I would caution against using a full soft bottom duffle for a compound [I do use one for my recurves].....even if it was packed in a soft case...or padded with clothing. Without some kind of a rigid bottom you are asking for trouble.

MattB

WKR
Good comment above, you can't really use ATA to estimate the required inner dimensions as the cams extend well past the axles.