Duffel bag large enough for pack frame and other items

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I need a really large duffel bag for a few items. Ideally the dimensions would be 40x20x18 or similar. Not terribly concerned with color or brand just need to be fairly durable. It would be indoors mostly so water repellent material not really needed I'd be grateful for suggestions.

Thanks

FlyGuy

WKR
I've looked into this just a little (thinking of flying to my hunt next year, but still on the fence). Anyway, there are several good options out there and could be many more than these, but the ones I've identified as potential candidates are from:

Kifaru
Sitka
Kuiu
Cabelas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've also been thinking about this for a while now. My big issue is dog hair. I do everything that I possibly can (while staying married) to not have dog hair on my hunting clothes and equipment. My wife has two dogs with long hair, a border-collie and a English Shepherd. I have my own "hunting" room which is essentially my office with a small walk in closet where everything gets stored. The dogs are not allowed in it and have consequences if they come in. I wash all of my hunting/scouting clothes separately from any other clothing. My main problem is in my truck. The dogs go in it when we go camping and get hair everywhere. I've tired to put them in the bed, but once one jumps out of the truck while your driving and bleeds . . . that stopped. I'm really looking at the Kuiu Taku 9000. I can put my pack, boots, ext. in there and just throw it in the bed and don't worry about it. Hard to purchase though when it just stores equipment, but thinking about pulling the trigger.

dotman

WKR
Outdoorsmans just released a hunting gen dry bag duffle that is reasonably priced.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
After I did more digging- I found a custom size bag for $45.00 including shipping. It is plain black and measures 40x24x24. I have no idea of quality but thought I would take a chance given how hard the really big ones are to find and how expensive they are when you do find them. I will report back with details when it arrives. Link below to the bag I found online

Huge Duffel Bag | DuffelGear Mother Of All Bags

Thanks

I have had good luck with the Cabelas heavy canvas duffle bag. I put my frame and all of my camping gear in it and check it when I fly. It has taken several trips through the airport torture chamber and held up very well. I think the 48" bag sells for around $100.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
REI has multiple different sizes of simple duffle bags for good prices. I have been using the same one for years

dukhunt

FNG
Go get yourself a Bauer hockey bag. I use mine for the same need but to travel with also. It has a telescoping handle and wheels too. The airlines don't give a s?&t about volume only weight.

Don't buy the Sitka rolling duffel! I wanted the badlands pack for a trip to bring a bow and clothes. Couldn't get it in time so I dropped $400 on a Sitka rolling duffel.
After one flight three of the 4 exposed snaps were busted off/missing. There is also a span of about 2" where the stitches have come out.

Wheels are nice, look at the North Face and patagonia duffels.

I've lived out of a Mystery Ranch Flight Monster for the past two fire seasons. Dimensions are a bit smaller than you are suggesting; but I have no problem fitting my entire sleep system, ppe, dopp kit, 2 weeks worth of work clothes, and some r&r clothes inside. Likely a bit overbuilt for your intended use, but I've been very happy with the durability thus far. It has seen some nasty conditions and abuse, and still washes up and looks new.

Note: I cut off the shoulder straps as I did not like the way they were configured. I now use the pocket intended for the shoulder straps to store paperwork, binders, and other flat items.

I have used north face bags for years.

A word of caution, it is easy to load them up with +50 lbs. baggage overage fees suck.

I've got a couple sizes of the heavy duty (brown) canvas duffel bags from Cabela's. The larger one has been to Hawaii three times and Alaska at least ten times....not to mention Manitoba, AZ, UT and other trips. No damage and extremely reliable. BDD I ever bought.

cnelk

WKR
I have a Badlands Terra-Glide I like for traveling with gear.
Shorter trips I use duffle bags

Gehri1tm

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on Cabelas duffles. I got the XL ripcord duffle that fits my Exo pack, plus extras just perfect

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick update. I received the duffel and it is a big bag. I have a pack frame and large internal frame pack in the bag with plenty of room to spare. It seems pretty durable for a $45.00 bag ($32.50 plus shipping). I don't see how I could find anything nearly as big for close to the price.

I might get a big Cabelas bag also but this bag was needed just for indoor storage and seems like it will be just the ticket. It is 40" long and 24" wide and 24" deep. The zippers are not YKK but the bag seems to be fairly durable-durable enough to be pushed around a hardwood floor. I did not want to spend big money on this bag and I am pleased with it so far.