Duffle for travels

Just make sure whichever one you get has the best heavy duty zippers you can find. A friend and I both put our backpacking and fishing gear into duffels to help protect and consolidate gear while flying to New Zealand. Long story short, mine was a cheaper duffel while my buddy had a nice North Face bag with heavy duty zippers. The zipper on mine busted from being tossed around by the Airlines, leaving my fly rod case exposed and thankfully it didn't fall out. I had even zip tied it closed and it still busted.

Semi-related story, but that same trip we stashed the duffels behind a tree in the forest near the Trailhead we started from. After a week in the bush we hiked out and retrieved the bags and there were dunkin donuts wrappers shoved into mine. So apparently, if you have a crappy duffel bag, people will find it and use it as a trash can.

I used the KUIU Taku 9000 on an Alaskan caribou hunt this year and Colorado elk hunt last year, and it worked well. It fit my pack and all of my gear in one bag, which was convenient, and held up with no damage. As others have mentioned, they do not have waterproof zippers, but short of dunking them in a river, I would not worry about them in rain or snow (mine rode many hours in the back of a pickup in a rain/snowstorm on the way back from CO and kept everything dry).

The two guys who I went with to Alaska also used the Taku 9000, and I saw a lot of them among hunters at the airport, so it is a popular option.

Two caveats worth mentioning:
> When full, their dimensions are categorized as oversized baggage under (I believe) all airlines baggage measurements. Depending on who you fly with, it may be cheaper to check two smaller bags than one oversized bag.
> When we got back from the Alaska trip, one of the other guy's 9000 had cuts in it, which looked like they came from a bag conveyer or other airport equipment. I don't know that you can fault the bag for that, but a reminder that they are invincible once you turn them over to TSA.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
A company that makes heavy duty bags & duffels for fire jumpers & military and also us civilians is NARGEAR.

I have their heavy duty, wheeled duffle and use it when traveling to Canada to hunt where my stuff will get tossed around big time, sit on runways when it is snowing, and for 2-4 hours in the back of an open pick-up to the guides place. It is weather resistant, not water proof. They also have non-wheeled HD duffels. Have traveled for 30 years on planes and this stuff is really durable.

One of the cool features is that all of their duffels have a compartment on the back where you can pull out 2 shoulder straps and carry it on your back. Frees up your hands.

NARGEAR Heavy Duty Duffle

1601570610874.png

I am also looking at a checked bag I can throw my Exo and other gear in for a couple of Alaska trips I have planned. Looking at the Kuiu Taku 5500, first lite dirtbag or outdoor vision mule. Any other thoughts on those 3. Mule is best price. Mule and FL seem to actually have features whereas kuiu is just a bag. Thanks for any thoughts.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Really like the Kuiu Taku. Beat the hell out of on a 6 day float trip. Passed that test easily. Will soon see what TSA can do to it.

I'm a fan of the grundens Duffel Bag I have the 55 liter and I believe there is a 105 liter as well. It velcros shut and roll it tight and clip it down on sides. Waterproof and I flew from WA to Bristol Bay with no issues. Made for commercial fishermen so built to take a beating and keep things dry. I put my hunting clothes in mine and throw in the back of the truck to keep dry in the rain. Grundens has em for 105.00 on their website, not bad at all.

Thanks. I like the taku single compartment style for the airport but after that the others seem better. Anyone know if the Exo k3 systems will fit into any of the other non taku packs? The rtic looks nice too but may not hold the exo. If I am dropping the cash on a duffel I would like it to be functional for other scenarios than just checking my exo at the airport. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would second the Gregory Alpaca. Been using my 45L duffle for a while and love it. Ripstop material and waterproof, and comes with backpack straps and a regular single shoulder strap.