Duluth Clothing for Hunting

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone. So I wanted to talk about the clothing sold at Duluth stores, primarily the pants and how they may or may not do for back country hunting for say elk. I have recently purchased a pair of the dry on the fly flex pants and I must say that I really like them. Very comfortable and move well. Now I know that most people will say that they are not as good as Sitka or First Lite or Kuiu but they sure don't cost as much either and they actually come in my size. I need a 38 waist with a 28 inseam. Most "big game" apparel does not cater to the shorter hunters out there. I believe most pants start at a 32 inseam for waists larger than say 38 or so. Not to mention I would pay $$$ only to turn around and have to have them altered. Typically not a chance I want to take and especially if the pants has some sort of attributes in the design of the legs that keeps you from altering them or would make it harder and more costly to do. So has anyone ever used Duluth products for hunting and if so what are your thoughts. I am sure I will purchase a pair of pants from either one of the brands mentioned above just to try them. I already own several articles from Sitka and Kuiu and Skre but no pants from either. Mainly upper body and head wear. Just let me know what you think. Thanks everyone

Duluth is solid.
I have some of the Duluth flex pants.
My only real complaint would be the crotch is low for hunting so its harder to step up on things.
And they dont have near as much dwr. But that can be fixed with nic wax.
If they fit you decent I wouldn't hesitate. If they were a little more form fitting for me that's probably all I'd use for solids.

Durable water repellent.
There not waterproof but it's a chemical coating that make the water bead up.
Nic wax is a giant outdoor brand with various technical boot and clothing cleaning and waterproofing products.

I picked up a pair of those dry on the fly flex pants. We will see how they do this fall.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
I bought a couple of pairs of the now discontinued Black Hills Cargo pants from Duluth. I wish I would have bought a dozen. I like them more than my KUIU Attack pants when the weather starts getting a little cooler.

I also have the Duluthflex Dry on the Fly Cargo. I like their fit but I am not sure how well the material will hold up. So, they will likely be relegated to around town and to the range pants.

SWOHTR

WKR
Not sure.
This is in response to your comment of needing a shorter inseam. You can try boot blousers:

Basically you tuck excess pant leg up. Simple solution, no tailoring required.

I started wearing Duluth pants 2 and a half years ago, and took them out west a couple occasions last year (elk deer and a couple shed hunting trips) and I thought they worked great for me, I’ll be wearing them out there again this year. And in a plus side I’m first starting to wear through the original 2 pairs I bought now up by the pocket seam. Keep in mind I wear those to work at a shop every single day. So you’ll be buying a durable pair of pants that you can wear all the time to. I think it’s a solid idea.

I should mention that I was using what ever the thin pair is. The medium thickness and the insulated ones are awesome but I wouldn’t take them to the mountains cause there pretty heavy and start to restrict your leg movement

I am a gear junkie. Buy and own way too much shit for the amount of hunting I will ever do. I am a hunting marketers wet dream and often buy something new before I really ever get around to using the last thing all that much.

Having said that, I bet more deer and other critters get stacked up in the US each year by hunters wearing carhartt and Duluth and the same stuff they wear to work or on the farm than all the high end hunting brands combined. I love my Duluth pants and they make it into the deer stand on occasion. Go with what works.

BTW - in the non-hunting brand pants category, I have become a big fan of prana zions. After hearing lots of people sing their praises, I finally bought a pair early this year. Love them. Took them on a few hikes and into a 5-day Grand Canyon trip. Wearing a pair of the shorts as I type now. They list for $85 but you can find them for $60 or even less than $50 if you shop and don’t care too much about color. Size up if you have some junk in the trunk and simply roll them to desired length.

Last edited:

TreyPound

FNG
Buddy does have some, look tough! I'm gonna get some for ranch work when I need some more jeans. Think they are made of fire hose like material.

TxxAgg

WKR
I recently sprung for 3 pair. They are awesome. I haven't hiked up a mountain with them but for everyday wear and short hunting trips, they are really comfy and tough. So far the repel blood and coffee without staining.

The flex hose pants and something like 95% cotton and 5% spandex. I don't know if it's possible but a wool/spandex combo could be really awesome.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
Been wearing my dry on the fly for three years elk hunting and multiple backpacking trips. Last year I picked up a pair of insulated ones for winter backpacking trips. They wear like iron and can’t see any reason to spend big bucks on the latest trend setters. I like them so much that I picked up a couple pairs of the fire hose flex kind for work.