Dumb cartridge question

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
I know the answer is any of my options will probably work, but just need people to talk me into committing one way or the other.

2nd rifle elk hunt in CO is approaching quickly and I’ve been putting off ammo thinking it was on the verge of coming back. So here I am, with my options either a 300 wsm or 6.5cm. I am proficient and capable with both guns, each would have an Ultra 7 hanging off the end. 400 yards would be on the extreme outer range for me, shots would likely be in the 250 range.

Ammo I have for the 6.5cm is Hornady Precision Hunter 143 eldx. Very accurate and have ballistics dialed in.

For the 300wsm I have a box of Federal Fusion 165 gn. A load with 215 Berger hybrids that is probably 80% worked up, or I could possibly start with something like a Hammer bullet if they really are as easy to load as reported.

I’d like to go with the 300wsm, but am iffy on the Fusions and also iffy on time to either finish load development or start from scratch in my timeframe.

So what would you do in my shoes besides start planning sooner? I have confidence in both guns, just need to commit so I can start preparing.

No question take the 300 wsm. If you go Hammer they have always been easy for me to get accurate.

I am opposed to the 6.5 needmore for elk. I prefer over kill, especially if a long distance shot opportunity presents. Larger diameter, bigger meplat, just seems to work better on elk and larger game.

300wsm. See if the fusions shoot, if they do, you know they’re an option if you don’t get another load worked up to your satisfaction in time. Fusions are actually a really good bullet

Boreal

WKR
Hammer development is as easy as they say it is. I've got good loads worked up my for 6.5 Bleedmoor and my 280AI. If you've got experience, you can probably work up a load for the 300 WSM easily. There is a spreadsheet on longrange hunting forum that has data for Hammer Hunter bullets, including for the 300 WSM.

But for 250 -400 yards the 6.5 Bleedmoor will work.

Wapiti1

WKR
When you say the Berger 215 is 80% worked up, does that mean out to 400 yards it will hit an elk? If so, take that as is, or finish the work up to your standards. I wouldn't start a new bullet workup at this point.

Otherwise, I'd say take the 6.5 and save yourself the trouble of time crunching out a load you will be confident in for the .300. Any dialed in rifle you are confident in is better than a hasty load workup with a couple of weeks to go.

Jeremy

MHWASH

WKR
The Fusions I’ll work. The only reason I would take the CM with that particular bullet would be because that’s all I had. I shot one buck with that load and swore it would be the last time I used that bullet. Shot was 225 yards, the bullet only reached one lung and shed its jacket. Had to finish the buck with my handgun when I got over to him.

OP
M

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
Sucked it up and did a bunch of case prep last night. Turned on the scale this morning. I’ve got about 3 charge weights to test, maybe fiddle with seating depth if needed. Then final test at actual distance. If that works with the Berger’s in the 300wsm then that’ll be the ticket. Fusions as backup.

Thanks for the input!

OP
M

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
So these are my results just FYI. Getting ready for a fishing trip I found half a box of factory Federal rounds with the 185 hybrid hunters. That 3 shot group was the second group of three. Pretty happy with it so think I’ll take the last 4 as my round for elk tag. Also really happy with my 215 5 shot group. Want to test it a little more, think the horizontal is probably my shooting, but I’ll get that ironed out and chrono’d, doped, etc. when I have more time and that will probably be my go to load in the future.