Dumb Question: Hot Tent Boiling Snow

treillw

WKR
How does snow boil? Just kidding.

But another question which I feel like is kind of dumb: What do you use to bring snow into the tent for boiling? Grocery bag? I couldn't find anything clean that would work well last time I was out. Ended up just keeping the door open - stepping over down sleeping bag, kicking dirt and snow on it, snowing outside falling on sleeping bag. Just was a pain to run in and out every minute and I don't want my sleeping bag to get wet with snow. Gotta be a better way!

Thanks!

rayporter

WKR
game bag?

personally i have the luxury of a big extra pot.

i don't get the sleeping bag thing. i would roll it up out of the way.

and my tipi it big enough to walk in with out getting the bag wet,

Moserkr

WKR
Bigger pot for sure. Also, I run my sleep system with a borah gear bivy in my tipis. Much cleaner and waterproof when its all contained, so tipi condensation is also a mute point. Zip it up to keep bugs out too while you’re away from camp hunting. Im not a fan of the tyvek sheet method. Weight penalty is minimal for its benefits.

Lawnboi

WKR
Bigger pot for sure. Also, I run my sleep system with a borah gear bivy in my tipis. Much cleaner and waterproof when its all contained, so tipi condensation is also a mute point. Zip it up to keep bugs out too while you’re away from camp hunting. Im not a fan of the tyvek sheet method. Weight penalty is minimal for its benefits.
I also do this. An ultra lite bivy is awesome for keeping things clean and together. Plus the added pad protection.

SonnyDay

WKR
Get yourself a lightweight nylon stuff sack--the size new sleeping bags come in. Fill it with snow... bring it into your vestibule, and scoop snow into your pot as needed.