Dumb Question... Is this a mule deer or whitetail?

rob86jeep

WKR
This is in CO just east of Colorado Springs (plains area but I'm the border with mountains) so I assumed it was a whitetail. However, after taking a pic of it through bino's it looks more like a mule deer now. I don't have any better pics but I figure some people on Rokslide would be more experienced and be able to tell for sure...
c55cbe1f8e70996e3a5dc0e9a575d7e9.jpg
3d4de902cb80ca83ed79ef51dab51b51.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
Thanks. I just assumed it was a whitetail due to the location and habitat but once I got a good look I thought I was a mule deer so I wanted a second opinion.

def90

WKR
Thanks. I just assumed it was a whitetail due to the location and habitat but once I got a good look I thought I was a mule deer so I wanted a second opinion.

The mule deer here range all the way out to the Kansas border.

Sobrbiker

WKR
Nice muley! If I’m in doubt, that big white ass tail down and the black on the tip of the tail do it for me.

Lytro

WKR
The thin tail with the black tip will be your easiest indicator If you’re in an area that has both. If you’re close to the Springs, whitetail are going to be pretty uncommon.

TheGDog

WKR
Also in the face.. Muleys have a "crown" that darker colored fur on the top of their heads above the eyes, which is distinct in color from the fur below it.

Plus... it's my understanding they're called "Mule" deer because their ears are big and long like a Mules. Especially when compared to the shorter ones Whitetails have.

Unibrow or toupee, as my girl says. It's a running joke to score the darkness and fullness of muley hair genetics.