Dumb WY draw NR pref point question

Kinda tough to search up this info since search terms are so clouded with normal questions.

So looks like it's $31 to buy a preference point and $15 application fee if you put in for a tough to draw unit and don't draw, each ending up with a preference point added. What am I missing? Why would anybody just buy a point when it's cheaper to put in for an impossible to draw unit?

OP
ScreamingPotato
You used to pay for and receive a preference point when you were unsuccessful in the draw.

Starting in 2019, you must log back in between July 1 and Oct 31 to purchase a point separately. No points are given through the draw process.

I was reading that July 1-Oct 31 period was a separate deal and figured it was for peeps who only intended to buy a point to accumulate. So you're saying if I were to apply and not draw a tag then I have to circle back and buy a preference point anyway? If that's the case I'm glad I asked!

Trial153

WKR
I was reading that July 1-Oct 31 period was a separate deal and figured it was for peeps who only intended to buy a point to accumulate. So you're saying if I were to apply and not draw a tag then I have to circle back and buy a preference point anyway? If that's the case I'm glad I asked!
Yes you do

bdan68

WKR
It was already mentioned in the first reply, but the way it worked prior to this year, even if you wanted to accumulate a preference point by applying for a license and being unsuccessful, you still had to pay the $30 for the point.

They changed the process this year because too many people were paying for the point when they submitted their application, and mistakenly thinking that the preference point would be used for THAT drawing.

So now to avoid the confusion you can only buy your points after all the drawings are over.

OP
ScreamingPotato
It was already mentioned in the first reply, but the way it worked prior to this year, even if you wanted to accumulate a preference point by applying for a license and being unsuccessful, you still had to pay the $30 for the point.

They changed the process this year because too many people were paying for the point when they submitted their application, and mistakenly thinking that the preference point would be used for THAT drawing.

So now to avoid the confusion you can only buy your points after all the drawings are over.

Gotcha. I skipped over last year but did apply the year before, got tags then so didn't have to visit the pref point options. Thanks for the clarification.