Duplex uses

I wasnt sure about posting this question in this particular forum but regarding the duplex hauler I've ordered... will it carry an "oddball" load like a summit climbing treestand on the rare occasion I will use one?

OP
T
Ok. the summit climber us kind of clunky compared to a hang on so I'm kinda thinking I may need a lashing kit to cinch it down for the best possible carry....? This quality pack stuff is all new to me and I can't wait for a more comfy carry!

Jay, buy yourself 6-8 sets of clips, a roll of webbing and make yourself some lashing straps in various sizes. You can carry anything with the duplex.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
A Grab-it may be a good option for you as well if you did not order it. I prefer it to the cargo chair for hauling turkey blinds around. The Kifaru Duplex platform is a great way to haul weight around. You'll love it!

Shrek

WKR
I use the summit climbers and I think I want to find a decent set of shoulder straps and a belt off of an old pack and put them on the climber. Just a thought for you.

Otherwise you have to find a way to stash the duplex frame somewhere. I don't leave anything on the ground when I hunt so that means hanging it up above me.

Lawnboi

WKR
Grab it and a couple lash straps on any kifaru pack works good for stands. Id take the pack strapped to the stand over just shoulder straps on a long walk!

You guys are killing me. I just ordered the Bikini and went back and forth on the duplex. I am second guessing this decision.

sk1

WKR
Tree stands are the only reason I'm considering keeping my duplex, however I don't see why you can't use the grab it with the bikini frame, just leave the pack on and strap them down

OP
T
Jeff, I feel for you, Kifaru buying decisions are soooo hard. It took me a while and THEN they had to come out with the bikini! But I went back to the duplex.

Living in NY I am limited to deer, turkey and bear. Because of that I live in treestands and ground blinds. Over the years I have hauled hundreds of stands and blinds with my Kifaru spike camp and late season. They worked good but strapping bulky, metal, awkward objects onto them had its limits. Having a Duplex Frame is absolutely night and day. That frame sheet eliminates any chance of being jabbed in the back, barreling, or any discomfort at all. If I was a western hunter out for a week at a time and weight was important I would opt for a Bikini frame. Here in NY hauling deer meat and everything else, the 1lb 5oz difference in the Duplex is MORE than worth it. If push came to shove I could make up a lb somewhere else but see no need to. The Duplex is just an incredible frame!!

tawmio

FNG
Hammer0419... I do Agree I'm sure I can shed 1.5 lbs myself before complaining over the frame. But I also hunt in similar terrain.
Not to say the bikini frame don't sound very promising.

Hammer0419... I do Agree I'm sure I can shed 1.5 lbs myself before complaining over the frame. But I also hunt in similar terrain.
Not to say the bikini frame don't sound very promising.

The Bikini Frame is very nice and I will have one down the road. However, for 1.5lb I was not willing to sell my Duplex and lose money. Then have to shell out more to cover the cost of a bikini. End result would be $175-$200 to save 1.5lb. The Duplex is absolutely incredible! I don't know if the Bikini is better but it is a lighter option.

Last edited:
IMO, 1.5 pounds at $150 is the cheapest 24 ounces you'll ever find per ounce. Then shed another 1.5 on your own. Shedding ounces in the backpacking field usually comes at a higher price that $10 an ounce.

If your gonna carry odd loads, go duplex. For backpack hunting go bikini.

Shrek

WKR
The only person I know of who has used both extensively is Aron and he has stated that the bikini is MORE comfortable that the duplex with over 100lbs. He also stated that it is about as strong and will carry well over 100lbs without issue. I don't know of many people who can pack more than what the bikini can carry so whats the point in buying a new heavier pack that gains no pefomance advantage and is less comfortable ? If I'm buying a new kifaru pack ( bikini on order ) then it's going to be a bikini.

When I spoke with Aron about which frame to choose, he basically said that if you are planning on hauling a lot of moose quarters then go with the duplex, otherwise the bikini should do everything you need it too.

I wasnt sure about posting this question in this particular forum but regarding the duplex hauler I've ordered... will it carry an "oddball" load like a summit climbing treestand on the rare occasion I will use one?

When I talked to Aron he suggested using the duplex over the bikini because of full panel, which keeps anything from poking you in the back.

Shrek

WKR
When you nest the two pieces of a summit treestand there is nothing to poke you and it would strap to the bikini fine from what I can see. ? In fact I figured out the only hang up I had. Just strap the pack to the bottom of the climber when you climb.

The only person I know of who has used both extensively is Aron and he has stated that the bikini is MORE comfortable that the duplex with over 100lbs. He also stated that it is about as strong and will carry well over 100lbs without issue. I don't know of many people who can pack more than what the bikini can carry so whats the point in buying a new heavier pack that gains no pefomance advantage and is less comfortable ? If I'm buying a new kifaru pack ( bikini on order ) then it's going to be a bikini.

For a backcountry hunter the Bikini would probally be the best choice. For me living in NY and using it for hauling treestands and groundblinds the Duplex is a much better option. Carrying odd shaped items, the framesheet is a godsend. Having that open area on the Bikini would not be the best for my style. Not to say I will not have one some day!