• 6 months

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 1 year

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
A good question and one Ryan and I have debated. One one hand, we want everyone to have freedom to ask/post but on the other, too many on same subject dilutes the topic. I voted for the 3 months, but will be watching this for input.

One thing, if someone does ask a repeated topic, I've liked how the Rokslide crowd has been helpful in directing them. Some sites, if you repeat the question, you're strung up like a fish.

OP
Racethesunset
What about thread consolidation, when they are so similar? Tack the newer, duplicate thread onto the older one.

Whisky

WKR
I vote never. People need to use a search function more often. But they don't. I find A LOT of good info by searching out various forums. If you have a question, pretty good chances it's been asked, answered and beaten to death already. If you need additional info, pop the thread back to life with another question.... The problem is, on most forums, the search funtions are worthless IMO.

Here is how I search for info on various forums. I think it would be a good idea to post this up on here somewhere so people can see it, and encourage them to use it. Call it the "Rokslide Custom Google Search"....
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...26,d.b2I&fp=f6de1cb25ff9813b&biw=1024&bih=585

All you do is in the Google search engine you type in site:rokslide.com (whatever you want to search for) ...It produces nice, easy to read links to same/similar threads, for Rokslide only.

Here is another example:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...26,d.b2I&fp=f6de1cb25ff9813b&biw=1024&bih=585

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Whisky,

That is a useful search technique.

I think we should be patient with duplicate threads. I like to just hot link the other recent thread when a duplicate comes up.

It isn't too bad. Besides, who doesn't like rehashing angled vs. straight every month?

:)

Shrek

WKR
My take on it is like Hollywood's take on remakes. All the good threads need to be remade for each generation of new Roksliders. Just because it's all been done before doesn't mean it's not new to you and each remake can add a little to the accumulated knowledge of those that have "seen it all before". All of us are free to ignore any and all post that don't interest you. By all means please direct people to old threads but that doesn't mean the new thread is without merit. So stop worrying that it's all been said before and just roll with it.

cmeier117

WKR
Whisky,

That is a useful search technique.

I think we should be patient with duplicate threads. I like to just hot link the other recent thread when a duplicate comes up.

It isn't too bad. Besides, who doesn't like rehashing angled vs. straight every month?

:)

Haha or how about every week? Or should I buy 8's or 10's? ;)

Shrek

WKR
Btw , killing of threads and new post is also killing off Rokslide's gravey train. This site sells advertising mainly on the strength of post count , thread count , membership , and site visitors. When you limit duplicate threads you are limiting the owners ability to make money and I don't think they think of Rokslide as there own personal public service charity. So , if there is a new thread debating the merits of strait vs angled spotters and 8 vs 10 power binoculars every week it actually helps the site survive. YOU do not have to participate in every new thread so why are you worried about it.

Another vote for never and being patient with duplicates. Posts and threads may stay dormant for a long time but using the search tool function can find the old information history pretty easy. Rehashing is not all that bad at times getting a fresh new view or some new innovation but could be sad when the history archives are gone.

OP
Racethesunset
Ah, the freedom part is important... Hadn't looked at it like that.

To clarify, I am suggesting thread migration (not removal) in place of / over linking by administrators. They would still garner traffic and responses, quotes from past responses, etc.

In other forums, I find that there is a degree of content quality that is lost when the same thread hits independently month after month.

In terms of monetization, view count and response count increase with authority for larger threads, even consolidated threads. Look at Rokslides largest threads for an example, and the ratio of views to responses will be higher.

Hardstalk

WKR
Keeping them is beneficial in more ways than one. Some content may be missed and the topic may become less active over time.

From The admin/owner side they are beneficial to create uniqueness which is the name of the game for seo. (Search engine optimization) keeping rokslide healthily at the top of google searches for keywords and content that may be lost if removed. Ex. Each time someone looks for a pair of vortex talon input. Some may say "lookin for talons" or "interested in talon binos" others may say "questions on talon hd 10x42 from vortex" all have unique keywords and tags when someone replicates the search on google. In turn sending traffic to rokslide.

I'm with 3 months as well. BUT, I like this forum because the people are nice and helpful plus I can help someone out every now and then. If people start to feel slighted when they ask questions it may turn some off to this forum. I think combining the forums isn't a bad idea.