Durability of Pack Stoves?

I am in the need of a new base camp wood stove and am really interested in switching to a pack stove (Kifaru, SO, TG) instead of an airtight pot belly stove I currently have that is all rusted out. I am just concerned about the durability of this type of light weight stove. For the guys that have them, how much abuse/use can they take? I usually use my current set up 5-6 times a year for 10-14 days at a time. Could a Kifaru, ect, take this type of use for years on end, or are they only meant for the once a year week long trip?

I'm looking at these stoves for their packability and light weight compared to an airtight or a cylinder stove. Something I can use for fly in hunts on a Beaver or set up for spring bear camp.

Also, can anyone tell me the pipe dia. of the Kifaru Large and Arctic stoves? I can't find any specs on their web page.

Thanks for the help.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got a Kifaru large that's 11 years old and I've burnt it about 30 times.....would guess has well over 300 total.

OP
todd kelly
I've got a Kifaru large that's 11 years old and I've burnt it about 30 times.....would guess has well over 300 total.

That's what I was hoping to hear! And I am still waiting to hear what you guys are working on in the stove department.....

OP
todd kelly
I have not ever lined it with dirt, but I might try it this year. Someone told me it retains heat better with dirt?

Something we have always done with our stoves. More for preventing burn out then retaining heat. I have been in a tent when the bottom of the stove burns through and fills the tent with smoke. Not fun at 3am.

stainless steel doesn't draw carbon to the surface when it gets hot like regular steel will.That is what accelerates rust on reg. steel.The only thing I've seen that causes holes in s.s. is if you burn drift wood.Salt will corrode s.s. that is not marine grade
Tim

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
My large Kifaru stove has about 150 days on it with no issues. Never lined it with dirt before. I have also burned coal in it for a longer burn. Prefer wood though. So far I would say it's way more durable than I thought it would be for sure. Have replaced the spark arresters a few times and reinforced the warming tray but that's it. No corrosion issues here in Colorado. I'm looking forward to what new stove Kifaru may be unveiling shortly. Don't need a replacement but a titanium model would be tough to pass on.