Durable, long lasting hunting pants

Kuiu katana. Durable, rip resistant, good venting, but NOT waterproof. Don’t believe their hype, the DWR is garbage. But they’re insanely durable, I wear them all around the house, for work, hiking, working under my truck, etc
Also crazy good ventilation.

324matt

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Filson whipcord wool pants from eBay. They are warm, breath well, buck the wind, dry fast, and are very durable. I look old school but IDK.

700MtnMan

FNG
I love Sitka Mountain pants, have a couple pair I have worn the heck out of for 3-4 years, very comfortable and durable. The Ascents are great also if you want a lighter pant. Kuiu Katana and Attack pants have been very good for me also.

jpmulk

WKR
If you want to spend $$, Sitka timberlines are awesome. Sitka mountains are ok but less durable than timberlines.

For anything other than cold late season, $20 outdoor wrangler pants are fantastic. Seriously. Theve lasted longer than many spendy pants ive bought.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Arborwear pants that I’ve worn for years and they are holding up well. I can’t speak to recent products from them since my first pair have been so great and they’ve since been updated. I also hunt in KUIU attack pants which I like as well and have had for a long time.

Last edited:

Bump79

WKR
Merino has no place in pants IMHO. I've had phenomenal luck with the FL Corrugate Guide Pants. 6+ years on the same pair with a couple hundred days in the field in them. They are tough to beat IMHO.

However, a combo of Outdoor Research and Wrangler is the way to go for the money. Ferrosi are the most comfortable early season pants I've ever put on, breathable and good stretch. Their Voodoo pants are more durable, less stretch, less breathability, more water resistant and louder (not much more so than Corrugates). The Wranglers are great with 2 way stretch, good durability, quieter than Voodoo and a little heavier duty.

3 pairs of pants can be bought for the same price as name brand hunting companies and you won't be disappointed.

I've heard great things about the Prana Zion's as well but haven't tried them. Super tempted as GoHunt has them for like $45.

I've had zero issues with my Kings Camo standard hunting pants over the past 5 years. You can't tell they aren't brand new. Love those pants and they are actually affordable.

You’d be hard pressed to get me to pay $150 for a pair of pants these days. I have some hard days on some $20 Costco EB pants and those things still work like they did when I bought them. I ended up picking up some of their insulated ones too for winter hunting from the truck. I’ve had great luck with the Prana Zions as well.

I’ve also heard great things about the Wrangler pants.

You don’t need to pay over $100 for good long lasting pants.

As an aside - I wouldn’t count merino out just yet, it’s great as a base layer! I’d avoid First Lite like the plague, though.

I bought two pairs of Sitka Timberline pants 6 years ago. Both get heavily used, If they had side zips for earlier season stuff they would be the perfect pants in my opinion. I live in Idaho and normally I wear my ascent pants the first 2 weeks of September. The rest of the year is the timberlines. I have worn the attack pants and they were great but they do not hold up no where close to the timberlines. I just ordered two more pairs. Buy once cry once

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Fjallraven Barents Pro for mid and late season. Fjallraven Vida Pro vented for the rest of the year
2 questions on the fjallraven. 1. I've always held to the "no cotton" rule in outdoor clothing, so I've always steered clear of fjallraven. Am i wrong? 2. I really like zippers in outdoor pants, because it guarantees you don't lose your shit, are the button pockets really solid?

OP
M

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
Merino has no place in pants IMHO. I've had phenomenal luck with the FL Corrugate Guide Pants. 6+ years on the same pair with a couple hundred days in the field in them. They are tough to beat IMHO.

However, a combo of Outdoor Research and Wrangler is the way to go for the money. Ferrosi are the most comfortable early season pants I've ever put on, breathable and good stretch. Their Voodoo pants are more durable, less stretch, less breathability, more water resistant and louder (not much more so than Corrugates). The Wranglers are great with 2 way stretch, good durability, quieter than Voodoo and a little heavier duty.

3 pairs of pants can be bought for the same price as name brand hunting companies and you won't be disappointed.

I've heard great things about the Prana Zion's as well but haven't tried them. Super tempted as GoHunt has them for like $45.
I'm somewhat dumbfounded by Firstlite as a company, they have this amazing gear, but their sizing is so limited. In the Corrugate Foundry they have the 30-30 and 32-32 nothing in between. I ordered both, and I got to say, they are amazing pants. Exactly what i want, I love zippered pockets, and lots of them, 100% what i want, but one is way too small, and one way too big. I'm on the thinner side, 5-10, 165, but they seriously need to update their sizing !

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
2 questions on the fjallraven. 1. I've always held to the "no cotton" rule in outdoor clothing, so I've always steered clear of fjallraven. Am i wrong?

Old thread, but yes. The Fjallravens are waxed. When waxed correctly they are completely waterproof. If you want more breathability you wash them and get rid of the wax. I mainly use the Ken Trousers, but all around pant on the market IMO.

2. I really like zippers in outdoor pants, because it guarantees you don't lose your shit, are the button pockets really solid?

Have never lost anything.

Dobermann

WKR
Old thread, but yes. The Fjallravens are waxed. When waxed correctly they are completely waterproof. If you want more breathability you wash them and get rid of the wax. I mainly use the Ken Trousers, but all around pant on the market IMO.

Have never lost anything.
Form, you grabbed a pair of those Keb Agiles yet?

[I thought I'd seen that they finally were offering them in a light brown, rather than just the green, black, or blue ... but my search-fu isn't finding them at the moment.]

jd1006

WKR
I’ve come full circle on cotton…I think the blend Fjallraven uses is an awesome combination to achieve breathability with the ability to waterproof areas that need it. Polyester has only one advantage - drying time. Every other aspect, it’s inferior to both cotton and nylon.

For durability, I’d go with the Kutana’s from Kuiu and the Keb Trouser from Fjallraven for an early season pant.

For a late season pant, I really like the Talus Hybrid from Kuiu. You can really wax up a pair of Vidda Pro’s from Fjallraven and they are great, as well.

If I’m backcountry camping for a longer trip, I really like the versatility that the Corrugate Foundry’s from FirstLite provide.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus any recommendations for a warm weather pant?

I generally wear shorts- proper length shorts, however Keb Gaiter trousers. I really liked the FL Kanabs and Obsidians for hot weather, however longevity sucks (due to stitching) and fit is all over the board.

Hot weather breathable pants and durability don’t really go together.