Durable mid layer?? Such a thing?

Vandy321

WKR
Live in CO...lots of open country, but lots of oak brush and such as well, which has been hell on my mid layers when not wearing an outter. I have tried the arcteryx leaf fleece, a merino 200 from kuiu and a 210 peloton as well, all seem to snag about the same. I just sold a 240 peloton but did not test it out in the brush, but I assume it would snag just as much.

On the cold but not so cold you wear your durable outter layer, is there anything that can hold up?

I have a Guide DCS jacket, but have it listed for sale with the intent of going the way of a Arcteryx Alpha SV shell to go over my Atom AR puffy as my insulation and outter layer.

Is there such thing as a durable mid-layer when the weather does not call for an true outter layer?

Gorp2007

WKR
I wear a military issued grid fleece for a mid layer, the face is smooth so it avoids snags pretty well and it's cheap so if it snags I don't care. I also have a Patagucci R1 that does basically the same thing for 3-4 times the price.

K

Kootenay Hunter

soft shell works well, vest or light jacket. my old sitka 90% jacket works well. When I'm not trucking through super thick brush I just wear my merino 200 hoodie with some stretch over a thin wool base layer, haven't had any issues, I still sweat when it's below 32F.

Benjblt

WKR
Live in CO...lots of open country, but lots of oak brush and such as well, which has been hell on my mid layers when not wearing an outter. I have tried the arcteryx leaf fleece, a merino 200 from kuiu and a 210 peloton as well, all seem to snag about the same. I just sold a 240 peloton but did not test it out in the brush, but I assume it would snag just as much.

On the cold but not so cold you wear your durable outter layer, is there anything that can hold up?

I have a Guide DCS jacket, but have it listed for sale with the intent of going the way of a Arcteryx Alpha SV shell to go over my Atom AR puffy as my insulation and outter layer.

Is there such thing as a durable mid-layer when the weather does not call for an true outter layer?
Kuiu just came out with the 210 and 260 strong fleece pieces. There is a recent post here on that. I've not taken one out into the field though.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I saw the new strong fleece as well, looked interesting. Waiting on some real world reviews for that line.

JP100

WKR
the 240 peleton seems solid to me!

I got given one maybe 2 years ago and wear it nearly every day and it has held up really well.

Soft shells will probably be better, but can be too hot when active

Shraggs

WKR
No longer made, but first lite’s chugash button merino wool shirt with woven ripstop has been pretty durable with snags.

Another option, not popular tho, is traditional wool shirt from any number of makers. Filson, Ll bean, my wool rich weighs 12 oz. I’ve had like 25 years...

Gorp2007

WKR
I have a bunch of those leftover as well that I had forgotten about. They just arent the warmest mid-layer...but you're right, on those more milder trips, those light be a winner, and if I tear them up, I've got spares.

For me, I don't need anything warmer while I'm moving and if I'm sitting still I'll throw on my puffy to stay warm. I added the FL Guide Jacket for turkey season this year and I love it for getting the brush and it's plenty light and durable. If you've already got a bunch of quarter zip fleeces, you could pick up the guide jacket and you'd gain warmth and durability as well as having a lot of flexibility in terms of temperature ranges.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I really am a fan of Sitka's timberline jacket light weight durable wind stopper with a DWR finish. I love my mid weight zip t but every so often when I have to get into the bush and barrel threw it catches thread and pulls on it so that's why I run my Timberline Jacket. Almost similar to the jet stream but lighter in weight. The Timberline jacket I use over my core as just a wind breaker jacket as well as a bush hog jacket to bust brush if its to hot to have my Jetstream Jacket on. I would look into that I will put in a link on the jacket if you have any questions on it give me a shout.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I have a kuiu guide jacket that is great for the brush, it's just a little warm sometimes. I have some pennies socked away and added the guide vest to my list after someone's suggestion on here. Seems like a durable but not overly warm way to prevent snags in the oak brush.

I really am a fan of Sitka's timberline jacket light weight durable wind stopper with a DWR finish. I love my mid weight zip t but every so often when I have to get into the bush and barrel threw it catches thread and pulls on it so that's why I run my Timberline Jacket. Almost similar to the jet stream but lighter in weight. The Timberline jacket I use over my core as just a wind breaker jacket as well as a bush hog jacket to bust brush if its to hot to have my Jetstream Jacket on. I would look into that I will put in a link on the jacket if you have any questions on it give me a shout.

I'll second this. The Timberline jacket is a versatile piece of kit and an amazing wind stopper.

I wear a military issued grid fleece for a mid layer, the face is smooth so it avoids snags pretty well and it's cheap so if it snags I don't care. I also have a Patagucci R1 that does basically the same thing for 3-4 times the price.

These are great. PCU level 2 I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk