Durable Rain Gear with Pit Zips

I upgraded to Kuiu Chugach jacket and pants a couple years ago. It sure is nice to actually stay dry while in the rain for long periods of time. It is actually breathable some how and a bit stretchy. I would highly recommend it although I will admit I have not used any of the other “top” brands so my opinion is biased. I see Kuiu has recently come out with a new and improved version so it may be something to consider.

Jimss

WKR
It's tough to beat Sitka or Kuiu. If you are on a budget take a close look at Marmot Precip. I have around 3 pairs because they only cost around $50 each. MP are amazing for the price. I often wear them while fishing or when I don't want to wear camo. I've used and abused MP and it is almost as good as my Sitka that I spent a fortune on. The jackets have pitzips so that is definitely a plus.

Deadfall

WKR
Carried kuiu on my saddle when guiding. Super tough rain gear, never ripped. Traveled about 3000 miles a year on horse, between summer and fall. Can't speak to other mainline companies.
The kuiu is double tough

Akicita

WKR
Arcteryx Beta AR has served me well. Robust but still feels pretty light. Layers well and cut right for hunting and day to day. Found one on here for a reasonable price and it stays in my truck or in my pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I concur - Arcteryx Beta AR is a great choice, but I trust my life to the LEAF Alpha Gen 2 jacket and pants in nearly all conditions - I like its ability to to stow the hood when not needed. 20180207_105140.jpg

schmalzy

WKR
I concur - Arcteryx Beta AR is a great choice, but I trust my life to the LEAF Alpha Gen 2 jacket and pants in nearly all conditions - I like its ability to to stow the hood when not needed. View attachment 310572

Not being able to stow the hood on the beta AR is my only complaint.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
My vote would be Kuiu chugach
Sitka also good
I use to have an Arcteryx Beta LT which was great but kind of short in the torso
The kuiu has great stretch

OP
S

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
So hear me out. Most rain jackets I see are solid colors. I mean they can be camo but I’d prefer it to be solid so that I can wear more than just for hunting. Has anyone heard of this company’s jacket? Seems to check a lot of boxes for me.

Fjallraven High Coast Hydratic Jacket​

Akicita

WKR
So hear me out. Most rain jackets I see are solid colors. I mean they can be camo but I’d prefer it to be solid so that I can wear more than just for hunting. Has anyone heard of this company’s jacket? Seems to check a lot of boxes for me.

Fjallraven High Coast Hydratic Jacket​

Yes - Fjallraven is an excellent and reputable brand. I have not used this jacket but I have used many Fjallraven products and can endorse their quality, construction and dependability.

Lwing

FNG
Depending on budget, I agree arcteryx leaf alpha is King, I’ve tried and sold most, except for this,, Kuiu, kryptex, Sitka are all a step below this

ezekedeke

FNG
I have the OR Foray and like the full length pit zips.

For a durable 3 layer option, you might consider the Beyond ARX 2.0 K6 rain jacket. I too am in the process of upgrading and this is the jacket I've decided on.
How has the K6 held up?

Sitka Cloudburst…

awesome rain gear, tad loud but it is durable. I see myself often using it more for windbreaker more than rain gear Here in E. Oregon. It’s always in my pack irregardless.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
Best durable rain jacket with pit zips is the Kryptek Altitude Takur jacket. Made from what is known as the the best textiles in the world Scholler fabrics.
I also lived in the thing for 2weeks in the Yukon and it performed flawlessly.
I agree takur is the best out in the market.

PCamacho

FNG
Very happy with my Stone Glacier M5 jacket. I agree about the pockets sucking though. They’re just too high on the jacket and feel awkward