Duraflame in a tent stove

Well, I thought I was really on to something good. Decided to try burning in my LO stove with a duraflame “roasting” log. Everything was great until that thing got burning good, starting shaking the stove and puffing out bursts of smoke, and smoked out the dang tent. Is there a trick to avoiding smoke out? I am brand new to the tipi stove thing.

I’m assuming you’re using a spark arrester? If so, take it out when burning Duraflame logs because they’ll just clog it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider
They will do that when they get burning too fast. Use the damper in the pipe and the air control on the door of the LO stove to cut down the air flow for a slower burn. Use a stick or something to adjust them, they will be hot. Once you get the air cut down and slow it down it usually won’t puff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So are you using these to burn longer during the night? I saw some logs form Idaho that were supposed to burn longer. Any other ideas. We have a saw mill here and the owner is a friend , he will cut blocks of oak for me what ever size. I thought I could get them, dry out 40 or 50 pieces for my stove to try to just use them at night. I understand you can’t bring firewood into Colorado. But would lumber chunks work
Any help thanks

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
No personal experience, but I have heard duraflames burn so hot they can burn thru ultralight stoves. We ususally cut them into thirds or quarters and use them just to get the other wood going.

Broomd

WKR
I don't use them in enclosed tent/tipi quarters or under cooking camp food due to toxicity.
It may not bother some, but there is a distinct nasty odor to those logs.
For use with a nice open air fire? No sweat. My .02

The best use for them is what Becca said, we cut and use them on Kodiak for starter logs.

*zap*

WKR
Fatwood makes a great starter for a fire, also good are Vaseline on cotton balls, cotton pads dipped in wax.

JigStick

WKR
I burned a few of those in my FourDog stove to heat my 16man tipi. Clogged the dogfuck out of the spark arrestor i had installed at the top of the stove pipe. real cluster **** changing it out at 3am during a blizzard. Lesson learned.

junior

WKR
used a duraflame log this past week inside a medium seek outside stove. Worked awesome and didnt seem to be burning too hot, until 2 hours later it clogged the spark arrester and snuffed out the log and smoked us out of the sawtooth at 1 AM. Wont be messing with those again

Wrench

WKR
Usually the smoked out tent is due to a simple draft issue. The issues can,be as said above the spark arrestor or it can be the tent is too air tight for the draft needs of the stove.

Start your fire small and keep the door to the stove open if it's pitched tight to the ground. Gradually increase the fire size allowing the chimney to get hot.....then throttle down the damper and air intake.....then seal up the tent. You may need to keep it cracked, or not depending on the fire size.

If you're going to burn anything hot in these stoves, add some dirt to the bottom to help eat the direct heat.....but remember they're not super structurally tough, so don't get carried away.

gfreidy

WKR
used a duraflame log this past week inside a medium seek outside stove. Worked awesome and didnt seem to be burning too hot, until 2 hours later it clogged the spark arrester and snuffed out the log and smoked us out of the sawtooth at 1 AM. Wont be messing with those again
This sounds like what would happen to me! Always trying something new and good chance for a backfire. Good Idea Fairy strikes again!