Duramax Dude (or lady) needed

WRM

WKR
A client is giving me a 2012 2500 HD with the LML Duramax. He takes care of and maintains his equipment, so I'm not expecting a lot of "delayed maintenance" will be needed when I get it. Hope to plow right into some real improvements.

New to diesel ownership, but do know some about them and engines in general. Routinely work on my gas 4x4. I can turn a wrench.

If anyone is willing to field a few questions on issues and proposed mods, PM me. I'm not really planning on anything wild (no coal rollin), but I've got a few things in mind I'd like to bounce off someone with Duramax experience.

Thanks in advance and good hunting to all.

OP
W

WRM

WKR
Best bet is to go over to the duramax forums but congrats on a fine pickup.

Thanks--I'm hoping to get a rest of my life service from it.

Yeah, may have to. Was hoping to connect with someone here with the hunting bent versus coal rollers.

Ram94

WKR
Look into upgrading the fuel system. The factory Bosch Cp4 fuel pumps have a terrible track record and when they fail, they will wipe out your entire fuel train. There are a few companies making a Cp3 conversion kit for the LML’s. the Cp3 will also handle more hp, so it’s a decent performance supporting mod anyways. I have a 2015 that blew a head gasket, so while the cab was off, I had them do the conversion as well. Otherwise you can do any of the following and see some benefits:

Tune
DPF/DEF delete
EGR delete
PCV re-route
High flow down pipe
Passenger up-pipe
High flow intake
Transmission build**
Grade C Head gasket & studs

OP
W

WRM

WKR
Thanks. No deletes for me. We've had some coal rollers getting pulled over and slapped with $10k fines. Diesel Bros should be a cautionary tale to all.

First plan is a FASS Titanium system. And Stanadyne in every tank of fuel.

Then new intercooler and pipes (looking at Mishimoto).

Ram94

WKR
Thanks. No deletes for me. We've had some coal rollers getting pulled over and slapped with $10k fines. Diesel Bros should be a cautionary tale to all.

Fair enough. Worth noting though that you can do deletes without having any black smoke rolling out the back. I'm running with a 160hp tune and it is clean 90% of the time. Slight smoke when I'm pulling heavy uphill.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider

A tune or delete doesn't mean black smoke. Especially for dmax's. Every single one of my farm buddies drive dmax's fully deleted and tuned. They pull well beyond the rated limits at times and no smoke what so ever. 2004 all the way up to 2015's. A few have brand new 2021's as well, but I dont think they will be able to delete those..

Vandy321

WKR
A delete doesn't make your truck "roll coal". It doesn't keep you from blowing the head gaskets when the EGR clogs though. Rolling coal, as you call it is among other things, a bad fuel/air ratio...its just wasted/unburnt fuel. Believe it or not, some folks pay good money for a tune that does that on purpose, don't ask me why.

I have a Duramax. Airdog II lift pump, no EGR, pre DEF, full intake and exhaust, EFI Live, Edge monitor, the whole 9 yards. What questions do you have?

OP
W

WRM

WKR
A delete doesn't make your truck "roll coal". It doesn't keep you from blowing the head gaskets when the EGR clogs though. Rolling coal, as you call it is among other things, a bad fuel/air ratio...its just wasted/unburnt fuel. Believe it or not, some folks pay good money for a tune that does that on purpose, don't ask me why.

Yeah I've come to find out it's like the "pop tune" turds that ride by my house daily--they paid to get their car to sound like a backfiring piece of crap.

I'm pretty sure we are headed back to inspections here, so nothing deleted for me. Much thanks to Ram94 for some good info already via PM. I'll PM some of you. Not looking to get a coal rollin, flat brimmer argument going on this thread about what's "best".

Last edited:

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Not much help on mods, but I've owned a 2008 durmax for about 7 years. I have done absolutely nothing to it except maintenance and replace worn out parts. No deletes or tuners/chips. Mostly because I don't have any interest in more hp, it does just fine as is. In my experience the more you mess with something the more issues you have. It is a workhorse.

Having said that, the only issues I have ever had are a clogged egr valve that was full of carbon. And once a year the disiel particulate filter doesn't auto regenernate and i have to take it to the local shop and they run a manual regen, typically for free.

But you could most certainly make a case for deleting both the egr and dpf. Just more money than I want to spend, as fixing the issue is a minor inconvenience for me.

Reactions: WRM

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
I ran a fass pump on my old lml. Put 50000 on it in the time I had it. Hauled fifth wheel around. No issues other than routine maintenance. Great trucks. Wish I still had it.

OP
W

WRM

WKR
I ran a fass pump on my old lml. Put 50000 on it in the time I had it. Hauled fifth wheel around. No issues other than routine maintenance. Great trucks. Wish I still had it.

Did you go with the CAT filters or stick with FASS?

OP
W

WRM

WKR
Not much help on mods, but I've owned a 2008 durmax for about 7 years. I have done absolutely nothing to it except maintenance and replace worn out parts. No deletes or tuners/chips. Mostly because I don't have any interest in more hp, it does just fine as is. In my experience the more you mess with something the more issues you have. It is a workhorse.

Having said that, the only issues I have ever had are a clogged egr valve that was full of carbon. And once a year the disiel particulate filter doesn't auto regenernate and i have to take it to the local shop and they run a manual regen, typically for free.

But you could most certainly make a case for deleting both the egr and dpf. Just more money than I want to spend, as fixing the issue is a minor inconvenience for me.

Trying to strike a balance and do appreciate that input. I'm finding from comments like yours and some of PMs that a couple of the (expensive) things I thought might be important may just not be. I'm probably wanting something much closer to what you suggest than what a lot of folks are running. My biggest goal is longevity.

Is the EGR a "clean up" or a replace part?

Last edited:

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
Did you go with the CAT filters or stick with FASS?
I did put cat filters on after the first time they needed changed. I think Amazon has them. Fass has a cross reference chart for all brand filters that fit on the site.

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to strike a balance and do appreciate that input. I'm finding from comments like yours and some of PMs that a couple of the (expensive) things I thought might be important may just not be. I'm probably wanting something much closer to what you suggest that what a lot of folks are running. My biggest goal is longevity.

Is the EGR a "clean up" or a replace part?
The egr is a cleanup part, but can be deleted

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
For me IMO. on a LML.

FASS lift pump. S&B air intake, EFI live tuner with a Idaho Rob tune. Keep it mild or you can torch the tranny. I believe I had a 50 hp that also improved the shift points on the tranny and throttle response. I kept the def and emmisions systems intact. The allison trannys for that year are close to the limit and you start pushing over 500 hp for too long your gonna smoke your torque converter.

Now I'm rolling a stock L5P. I dont even know if anyone has tuned them yet.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’m driving a 2003 duramax that I bought brand new. I haven’t done anything to it, mechanically speaking, but maintenance. Still runs and drives great.

tdhanses

WKR
For me IMO. on a LML.

FASS lift pump. S&B air intake, EFI live tuner with a Idaho Rob tune. Keep it mild or you can torch the tranny. I believe I had a 50 hp that also improved the shift points on the tranny and throttle response. I kept the def and emmisions systems intact. The allison trannys for that year are close to the limit and you start pushing over 500 hp for too long your gonna smoke your torque converter.

Now I'm rolling a stock L5P. I dont even know if anyone has tuned them yet.
They do but I heard the cost is insane, $6-$8k but who knows if that’s correct.