Durston X-Mid Tents

Rob5589

WKR
Turned my xmid 2P solid into an igloo last night. Got 2-3 inches of Sierra cement overnight and it held up surprisingly well especially because this was the first time I tried to use it in the snow. Really glad I guyed out the top. It actually felt warmer with the snow on it because I could feel the temp drop when the snow slid off.

Zero condensation even when the snow built up over the shell at ground level leaving only the top vent open. Very pleased. Bottom picture is from the windward side.

View attachment 551204
View attachment 551205
Seemed to hold up pretty well considering. I just got mine but need to set it up before heading out next week. I bought the Durston poles as well so I can leave it up and still take my trekkers with me during the day. Winter just won't let go this year.

Turned my xmid 2P solid into an igloo last night. Got 2-3 inches of Sierra cement overnight and it held up surprisingly well especially because this was the first time I tried to use it in the snow. Really glad I guyed out the top. It actually felt warmer with the snow on it because I could feel the temp drop when the snow slid off.

Zero condensation even when the snow built up over the shell at ground level leaving only the top vent open. Very pleased. Bottom picture is from the windward side.

View attachment 551204
View attachment 551205

Love my 2P (3 season).

Did your Ridgeline sag due to cold, or did your stakes move? I didn't think poly sagged when cold.

sivart

WKR
What tent stakes are you guys using for dry ground? I tried the MSR groundhog minis, and they failed in 30 mph wind this weekend.

What tent stakes are you guys using for dry ground? I tried the MSR groundhog minis, and they failed in 30 mph wind this weekend.

Failed as in pulled out? I use regular groundhogs. So many benefits for tiny bit of weight. Drive in at angle perpendicular to line. Drive flush with ground.

Last edited:

dapesche

WKR
Yes. Not a fan of the shorter groundhogs.

I bought these. Much longer.
Will use for the 4 corners. Other pegs for less important locations.
Screenshot_20230507_140310_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

sivart

WKR
Yes, they pulled out. And I did drive them with angle. Those cyclones hold better than the original groundhogs?

dapesche

WKR
Yes, they pulled out. And I did drive them with angle. Those cyclones hold better than the original groundhogs?
Much better hold due to length and spiral design. I'd trust them in sandy dirt and they are longer than the amazon pegs that i bought to replace the groundhogs that failed on my tipi. Those amazon pegs worked for me in the sand.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

sivart

WKR
I'll give them a try. I'm thinking I probably should have used some larger rocks.

Love my 2P (3 season).

Did your Ridgeline sag due to cold, or did your stakes move? I didn't think poly sagged when cold.
I don’t think I had the ridgeline tight enough to start because I was worried it would pull the stakes out of the snow. I’ve never set up a tent in the snow before and just put the included stakes in like I would in dirt then packed the snow down on it. After further review I probably should have rigged up some deadmans so I could really crank the tension.

I don’t think I had the ridgeline tight enough to start because I was worried it would pull the stakes out of the snow. I’ve never set up a tent in the snow before and just put the included stakes in like I would in dirt then packed the snow down on it. After further review I probably should have rigged up some deadmans so I could really crank the tension.

Here is how mine looks when it is right. Optimizes headroom. Not too much tension required (without snow on top). The backyard shot is after a week of sitting in heavy summer thunderstorms.

XMID2P-2.jpg
XMID2P-1.jpg

Just got a notice the x mid pro 1 is in stock. $600 but nearly half the weight of the regular version.
I had a xmid pro 2 on order and cancelled my order due to the #3 YKK zippers and .5 DCF. Just not stout enough for me, I ordered the 1P solid instead. Just food for thought.

Rob5589

WKR
I pitched mine for the first time today; 2P solid. Set up was easy but it is kind of weird at first with the parallelogram inner. I was able to pitch it plenty tight even with a solid wind blowing. Large vestibules, plenty of head room at 6'2". Glad I got the 2P for the room plus I plan to pack with my little dude as well. I didn't throw my pad down but the floor size is about what you'd expect; roomy for one, tight'ish for two. I went with the Durston poles which are super light and tight fitting. That way I can leave it up when out hunting; or use the trekking poles when just camping. Also using some MSR knock off stakes I had. A bit longer and lighter than the ones that come with. I saved 29oz over my Kelty Salida 2, which is partly why I was looking for something new; wanted to lose some weight in my gear. Plus two doors is much better for two instead of climbing over the other to get out.

Attachments

• PXL_20230512_013515789.jpg
    PXL_20230512_013515789.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20230512_013526092.jpg
    PXL_20230512_013526092.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20230512_013753953.jpg
    PXL_20230512_013753953.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20230512_013833909.jpg
    PXL_20230512_013833909.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20230512_014131408.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230512_014131408.MP.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 37
I pitched mine for the first time today; 2P solid. Set up was easy but it is kind of weird at first with the parallelogram inner.
I keep setting the tent up for what I think will get my feet slightly below my head, then remember the pad direction is not the same as the tent direction causing me to slowly slide diagonally off the pad haha. One day I will get the pad in the direction I originally intended!

I keep setting the tent up for what I think will get my feet slightly below my head, then remember the pad direction is not the same as the tent direction causing me to slowly slide diagonally off the pad haha. One day I will get the pad in the direction I originally intended!
You can sleep on either side of the floor, in either direction. Two can sleep side by side in the sane direction. Just a tad less headroom on one side, and not enough less to be a problem at all.