Durston X-Mid Tents

Voyageur

WKR
Became aware of these tents while reading a different thread, and not wanting to hijack that thread I'm starting this one to hear from Durston X-Mid owners. Specifically I'm interested in their experiences with the poly material of the Durston and how it compares to the silnylon used in most other tents.
I'd also be interested to hear how the Durston tents have addressed perceived short comings inherent in other shelters.
Any and all insights are appreciated.
Thanks.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the Durston X-Mid for approximately 2 years and has steadily become my preferred shelter.
The sil-poly doesn't sag when damp or wet so no retensioning of the guylines is necessary....it also doesn't have the slight stretch that is a property of sil-nylon.
The tent shelter itself sets up incredibly easy and creates a very taught pitch. It can be set up as a single wall (fly only) or double wall (inner and fly) so it's very versatile. When using it as a double wall it sets up fly first (even with inner attached) to keep the inner dry.
The fly comes pretty low to the ground and combined with a good sized vestibule and nice bathtub floor prevents any spray even in wind driven rain.
with the ridgeline guylines utilized it has proven very wind worthy as well when the high Sierra winds whip up.
The only thing I'd like to see is a fabric inner for mild winter use conditions.
Overall, this is a very well thought out design and an incredible value at its current price point.
Any questions please feel free to ask....
Cheers

Last edited:

turley

Lil-Rokslider
This is an email correspondence that I had with Dan regarding the Sil-Poly fabric from almost two years ago:
  • Hi Dan,
    How is the durability of the polyester used in the x-mid compared to silnylon?
    Thanks,
    Chris
  • Dan DurstonSent 1 year, 11 months ago
    Star Message
    Hi Chris,
    There’s two parts to this, which are the fabrics (poly vs nylon) and the coatings (sil vs pu).
    For the fabrics, the conventional wisdom is that nylon is a lot stronger but that’s not really true. Both hold up similarly well to abrasion. Nylon is about 20% stronger in terms of tear strength, but it also looses 10% of its strength when wet and it degrades way faster under UV, so quite likely after a year of typical use they are similar and in the long run poly is stronger. The X-Mid uses a 20D poly, so it won’t be as strong as a 30D nylon, but it would be stronger than the 10-15D nylons that some tents use (some tents even use 7D nylon).
    For the coatings, sil adds tear strength but can’t be seam taped and is annoyingly slippery as a floor. PU slightly weakens strength, but isn’t slippery and can be taped. So the X-Mid uses a blend. There is sil on the outside of the fabric and PU on the inside to allow seam taping. This isn’t as strong as a pure sil tent, but it has other advantages.
    Overall, the 20D sil/PU poly is a reasonable tent fabric. I use mine without a footprint and have ~70 days on it without issue. But you do need to take reasonable care of it (e.g. don’t pitch it on sharp rocks/sticks). It’s not as durable as traditional 30D silnylon, but it is more durable than the 10-15D nylons that companies like Big Agnes use and people still get good lifespan out of. With reasonable care, there’s no reason why it won’t last hundred of nights.
    Best,
    Dan

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the xmid 1p and 2p, and think they both are fantastic trekking pole shelters. Durability wise the silpoly has held up well although they haven't been put in treacherous conditions. As stated above the silpoly doesn't sag when wet, which is surprisingly convenient.

I think the only downside I've found in the shelters is the off angle line of the inner makes it difficult to line up how you want to lay while setting up the tent. This is more of an issue with the 1p as with the 2p I can lay slightly off angle in the inner. When finding a completely flat spot is difficult, I'll want to use the 1p in a narrow spot on a slope and I'll need to setup the outer rectangle at an off angle to how I'd like to actually lay, which can take some trial and error. This wouldn't be a problem if using the outer only, and again isn't much of an issue with the 2p.

Value wise, I think they are quite a lot of tent for the money, and just because it's fun to buy stuff, would probably buy a DCF version when released.

BFazz

FNG
Really interested in this shelter, seems really well thought out. I’ve heard Dan updated the upcoming batch of 1p to have a larger inner, to accommodate taller users. At 6’5” I’ve been back and forth between the 1p and 2p, it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
I think the only downside I've found in the shelters is the off angle line of the inner makes it difficult to line up how you want to lay while setting up the tent. This is more of an issue with the 1p as with the 2p I can lay slightly off angle in the inner. When finding a completely flat spot is difficult, I'll want to use the 1p in a narrow spot on a slope and I'll need to setup the outer rectangle at an off angle to how I'd like to actually lay, which can take some trial and error. This wouldn't be a problem if using the outer only, and again isn't much of an issue with the 2p.

I have a Tarptent SS II which is a similar design concept as the X-Mid and know exactly what you mean about being difficult to visualize where the sleeping area will actually end up once pitched. It took me awhile to get that figured out.

GotDraw?

WKR
I have the 1P and 2P.

Used both the past two years and love them both. Excellent, well thought out tents.

Often use the 1P as a tarp tent with my brother, it is snug but will fit two people as a tarp tent.

Happy with the durability, also with fabric tension when wet.

JL

2mas

FNG
Really interested in this shelter, seems really well thought out. I’ve heard Dan updated the upcoming batch of 1p to have a larger inner, to accommodate taller users. At 6’5” I’ve been back and forth between the 1p and 2p, it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out.

I’m 6’3 and wish I got the 2p instead of the 1p. Can’t speak about a larger inner size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 1p and I currently have the 2p. This thing pitches and breaks back down so easily. It’s quite light and packable for a poly tent. I haven’t had any issues with durability. I’m pleased. If I had a wishlist I’d want a 1.5p Xmid with a smaller footprint than the 2p and a little more elbow room in the inner than the 1p.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Have both a 1p and 2p Xmid. IMO they are the best bang for the buck. Great poly fabric that doesn’t sag when wet, excellent zippers, and easy set up. Excellently sized bath tub floor. My 25x78 pad is too snug to fit inside the 1p; so my hunting partner used it. He’s 5’7” and runs a 20” wide pad. The 2p’s interior and vestibules are both spacious comparatively speaking.

Sammymusi

WKR
Do you guys use trek poles to set the tent up or do you have a collapsible pole you could recommend ? I used the 1p last year in Montana a few days spiking from base camp and had some issues getting the tent set up properly. I’m going to Wyoming this year and will either be using this again or going with something different for spiking out.

Mountain_Life

Lil-Rokslider
Generally I either don't want to pack trekking poles in with me or else I want bring the trekking poles with me while leaving the tent pitched. For those cases, I keep a piece of string that I've measured to be the correct pitch height. I use it to measure and cut a branch or stick. Sometimes I need to make a slight adjustment depending on slope or pitch height, but it's close. I set the tent bags on top of the stick to keep it from wearing on the top of the tent.

A stick is cheaper than a tent pole and you don't have to pack it in or out. Obviously doesn't work well in sheep country, but it will in most other places.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Do you guys use trek poles to set the tent up or do you have a collapsible pole you could recommend ? I used the 1p last year in Montana a few days spiking from base camp and had some issues getting the tent set up properly. I’m going to Wyoming this year and will either be using this again or going with something different for spiking out.

Am using Seek Outside carbon poles for the 2p with a small PVC endcap with a metal post. The post fits into the grommet at each peak on the Xmid to hold the pole in place. Total weight of both poles and caps is 10oz. Very rigid set up.

Have modified an aluminum tent pole I bought off Amazon for the 1p. The aluminum pole has a built-in grommet post to insert into the peak. Weight is similar to above. Less rigid as the aluminum is flexible.

Sammymusi

WKR
Awesome thanks , if you have any pics would you mind sending ? I wanna practice with this set up so I can get ready. I mean I only have 9 months it’s gonna be here quick!

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Durston released a batch of xmid 1P (Ver. 2) and 2P tents for pre-order this morning. Sold out in less than 3 mins.. Was able to get a 1P. They are doing another round of pre-orders this Thursday @ 10am EST.

Has anyone used one in a decent snow storm? I understand it will never be a 4 season tent, but I’m curious what it is really capable of. This video is the only one I’ve been able to find that has some snow. Skip to ~13:00 for the snow fall.

Last edited: