Durtson tents?

Was looking at getting the Durtson x-mid 2 person tent for doing some of my early season backcountry hunts. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with them

Mudd Foot

WKR
The 2p checks a lot of the boxes for me personally. The fabric selection and geometry are spot on IMO. Here are a couple of recent set-up pics to see if I’m correct.
90ebe3cee8bd444e837a12caf112c39b.jpg

68c8eb8ae74b2aed16a3fa9b7fca21d5.jpg

After setting up, am very impressed. It’s going to be the shelter I run from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j33

WKR
I just got the 1P, great quality on them very very well thought out. Love how quick they go up. Price is too low on them in my opinion, they are worth more than what he sells them for.

bsnedeker

WKR
I've got a 1P and I like it, but I find it difficult to pitch on uneven ground. Due to the way the inner tent runs diagonally it's hard to pitch the tent in just the right place so that you are sleeping on a flat spot.

I've been thinking about buying a Borah bivy and going floorless with the 1P. It would save me a few ounces but, more importantly, would allow me to orient the my sleeping position if I don't pitch the tent exactly correctly.

Mudd Foot

WKR
I've got a 1P and I like it, but I find it difficult to pitch on uneven ground. Due to the way the inner tent runs diagonally it's hard to pitch the tent in just the right place so that you are sleeping on a flat spot.

I've been thinking about buying a Borah bivy and going floorless with the 1P. It would save me a few ounces but, more importantly, would allow me to orient the my sleeping position if I don't pitch the tent exactly correctly.

Great point. I have a 1p as well, and the above is why I bought the 2p. (The 1p inner barely fit my BA Q core SLX Long wide.) The larger inner of the 2p seems minimize ground unevenness and roll-over/roll off space. FWIW, I was running a floorless mid with a Borah bivy but wanted more clean floor space without having to pack multiple solutions.

j33

WKR

That's a good idea on the Borah Bivy, I didn't think of that. You can save about 3.5 to 4 oz going that route on a 1P and some decent room....

Seek Outside uses Durston's diagonal design also, the Silex looks very similar to this tent.

Mudd Foot

WKR
That's a good idea on the Borah Bivy, I didn't think of that. You can save about 3.5 to 4 oz going that route on a 1P and some decent room....

Seek Outside uses Durston's diagonal design also, the Silex looks very similar to this tent.

Having both a Silex and Xmid, I can say that the Silex is not built on the same off-set pole geometry as the Xmid. The Silex is akin to the Tarptent Notch and Stratospire designs without the Tarptent triangular strutted corners. Here is a pic of a Stratospire 1.
f66195ef4201832e24be7021f0387d5e.jpg

Remove the strutted corners/ends, extend the fabric out the the ground, and you have a Silex. Great design, great shelter, but not off set poles.

Hucker

Lil-Rokslider
Have the X-Mid 2p. I'm tall, so I appreciate the space when solo. Taking to Havasupai Falls (hopefully) in a few months. Gonna see how the wife and I both fit!

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had both the 1p and 2p and kept the 2p. Not much weight or pack size penalty for a ton of room in the inner nest. These things pack up really small and fit great in a pack. I’m pleased with mine. Great quality, easy set up, etc. I would love if they turned the 1p into a 1.5p as would be great if that inner was in the 32-36” range.
Only con is the overall footprint is fairly large on the 2p.

1p floorless has tons of room