Dutch Oven Stew question

I am looking at starting to use a Dutch Oven when I go out hunting. I have found plenty of recipes for stews and what not. The question I have is, I want to know if it's going to over cook or ruin a stew if I prep everything for a stew before I leave for the evening hunt and just leave it over a reduced fire. Basically brown up the meat, then place everything else in the Dutch Oven, leave for the evening hunt, and come back to a meal ready to go.

pwsINC

WKR
Over coals or briquettes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
fire arrow
Camp fire. Wood that that has been reduced in size to mostly coals and a little bit of wood rounds. If my idea is way out in left field please let me know. I was just looking for a way to prep everything, put it over heat, go out and hunt, and come back 4 hours or so latter and everything is ready to go.

InIt2Live

Lil-Rokslider
I think that as long as it was just over coals, AND there is plenty of liquid, then you'd be fine. Have a back up plan handy, and be the guinee pic, let us know if it works!

As a side note, I'm not a fan of leaving anything burning in camp while I'm gone... the last thing I want to do is disappoint smokey the bear.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Illegal to leave a camp fire burning unattended in ca. Also you have to drench the fire with water as of last year. No more throwing dirt on it and calling it good. It could change this year maybe it was an extreme drought type regulation.

Like said above if you keep enough liquid youll be golden. Sounds more of a rainy day, early back to camp dinner. You could cook ahead of time and use the dutch to warm everything back up. I think 1 day old stew is better then day of.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Aside from the legal aspectects of leaving a fire in camp, coals from a campfire will burn out too quickly to do any good. You can experiment on how long they last by cooking a meal in your dutch oven while tending it while it cooks using coals from your campfire, you'll see they don't last very long. If you use a big pile of coals so it will last longer it will be too hot and you will scorch whatever you are cooking.
You best option is to get some briquettes going to use but even they will only last an hour at best.
We use them all the time and with a little practice you will find you can cook almost anything in a dutch oven, you just have to be patient.
Experiment at home an see what works best for you.

Last edited:
My Buddy does a bear roast in camp each year. He digs a pit and builds a fire, once he has a good bed of coals he pulls some out, puts the dutch oven in and covers it with coals then buries it. It cooks all day, low and slow. He puts it in raw with uncooked veggies and beer. And Bear is one you cook thoroughly so I know it does the job.

We do this whenever someone shoots their deer on one of the first few days. We use a tripod so you can drop or raise the Dutch Oven depending on the fire and temp/wind. Once we have a designated camp cook the fire and the DO is pretty much going 24/7. Along with a stew I'll also bring a double batch of soup and chili to simmer over an open fire. It's pretty awesome for those who are just stopping in camp for a quick bite.

efnm

WKR
I just saw a video in which Rinella does this with Coues deer. He got a big bed of coals going, cooked up onions and garlic, tossed in the deer ribs, added water and some more seasoning. Then he put the lid on and weighed it down with a big rock and covered it with enough dirt that could no longer feel the heat. Once back from the evening hunt everything was well cooked and he and Remy Warren chowed down.

WKR
Some poor bear is gonna burn the shit out of his nose while you're out hunting.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think you would be good to go. Depending on how long your evening hunt is going to be. Charcoal brickets wont last more than 45 minutes. I would make a big bed of coals but the pot in the coats and bit dirt around the base. Make sure you have enough fluid in your pot.

Have you picked a dutch oven yet?
I really like the GSI 10" with out legs and the 12" with legs. The 10" can easily handle a grouse and couple mushrooms. The 12" can hand almost anything else. Both ovens are aluminum and weigh about a third of what there cast iron causins weigh. The one thing about aluminum is it is more effected by wind and outdoor temp that cast iron. Good luck

Wrench

WKR
bikepics026_zps7b63ed05.jpg

Bury it with coals......ask me how I know.

This was on a low fire in a pouring rain. We ended up coming back late. That was a 5# elk roast and a 12 deep Dutch full of vegetables and liquid.