DWR

What’s everyone’s go to for a wash in or spray on DWR for clothes and a pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used the Nikwax Sport Wash and DWR on jackets and pants. My results were hit and miss. It seems like my Kuiu Attack pants just won't take the DWR anymore.

For packs I just use a silicone spray, like can be found easily. I'm not wearing the pack so I don't need it to "breathe". I just need it to be as waterproof as possible. The silicone spray has always worked great.

muddydogs

WKR
I've used the Nikwax Sport Wash and DWR on jackets and pants. My results were hit and miss. It seems like my Kuiu Attack pants just won't take the DWR anymore.

For packs I just use a silicone spray, like can be found easily. I'm not wearing the pack so I don't need it to "breathe". I just need it to be as waterproof as possible. The silicone spray has always worked great.

Whats the Sport Wash?
For you pants you should be using the Tech Wash which cleans the item then if they need it TX.Direct wash in to help restore the DWR treatment.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Some dwr clothes (I think Goretex) call for a high heat dryer cycle to reactivate and distribute the dwr chemicals.

Nikwax has been hit or miss for me, usually only last a few exposures before the water beading stops.

Keeping clothes clean also helps, sometimes just a wash helps things out to, as dirt, etc. can impede beading

Hathcock

FNG
Just an FYI, I was told by arcteryx technical support to not use wash in dwr on rain jackets because it hurts breathability. They only recommend spray on dwr. I’ve also heard that fabric needs to be really wet to absorb dwr.

Whats the Sport Wash?
For you pants you should be using the Tech Wash which cleans the item then if they need it TX.Direct wash in to help restore the DWR treatment.

You're right. I used the Tech Wash (not sport wash). I think I followed that with the Softshell Proof. It worked reasonably well on the Sitka 90% softshell jacket, but failed on the Kuiu Attack pants.

Should I have used TX Direct instead of Softshell Proof for the Attack pants?

What processwould a guy use/follow on a firstlite stormlite rain jacket. Should I was first, then apply dwr?