Dyneema cord

JRMiller

WKR
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Been debating on replacing my original poly (or nylon?) cord on two of my tents as their getting aged/frayed. Figured if i was going to maybe go the lightest route which appears to be this. I know its light, but i dont see much info or long term reviews as to its durability.
Also going to switch out plastic guyline tensioners to Ti units

I went thru a weight trimming phase and bought some of their zline and some other dyneema cords. Have used it on tents and tarps in the past couple of years. Works fine. No issues with durability, though I can’t recall having a tent or tarp guyline breaking in the past that wasn’t mechanically induced (cut or rubbed) so I can’t say if the extra strength adds much to the equation. I bought the cord partly because I splurged on a dyneema tarp and it felt stupid adding 6oz of 550 and nylon cord to a $300 8oz tarp. Honestly, it is 4x the cost of regular cord and there are easier and cheaper ways to save a few ounces, but go for it if you want to.

The dinky diameter of the 1-2mm dyneema isnt confidence inspiring at first glance but it works. I have had some straps in some gusty weather and I think the tarp would tear before the cord breaks.

I do carry about 50-100 feet of cord for general purpose use on must trips. Traditionally if had been 550 but I replaced it with some iron wire form Lawson. It is slick and glides well for bear bagging and hauling a deer up a tree to skin it. Seems to resist pulling and picking better than 550. For the same weight, I get something 3x stronger than 550. Break strength for 5mm cord is 1500# so Technically it could be used for holding a person, though I wouldn’t care to test it unless I had to. Probably more bang for your buck than guylines if you do that.

In short, yes its very strong. But, it also does not have a very high abrasion resistance. I replaced the Hilleberg guy lines on my Soulo with this. On a windy night, several dyneema guy lines almost wore through from chafing on rocks. The stock guy lines would have fared better, despite their lower breaking strength.

Trial153

WKR
Look no further the Lawsons equipment, he has several American made cords that will work for you depending on your needs. Great products and top notch service.
I wouldnt even consider anyplace else at this point

mtnkid85

WKR
I run that 1.2mm Zline from Packs on my tarps, it works fine. Like others said, be careful about letting it chafe against rocks. Ive had to replace a few different lines that got warn through on my tarps from that.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Been using Lawson's Equipment Reflective Glowire on my tents and tarps and Ultraglide Bear Line for food bag hanging for years and agree with above....great product(s).

Love the Lawson guarantee:

100% No Bullshit Guarantee
If a product we make doesn't last as long as you think it should, or doesn't work as advertised, or lets you down in any way. Please let us know and we will take care of it for you with either a repair, an exchange or a full money back return.

tdot

WKR
Abrasion resistance is one issue with Dyneema, as previously listed. However this can easily be over come with a chafe sleeve or keeping a couple loops of 550 to wrap around rocks, etc.

The second issue is the lack of stretch. (My numbers may be a little off, it's been awhile since I've looked at them) At max breaking load Dyneema stretches 2-3%. Typical poly based lines can stretch 10-15% at 1/4 of breaking load. Stretch often acts as a shock absorber in tents/tarps. Removing that stretch can cause problems if not handled correctly.
However. Other then those two major issues, which can both be dealt with, I love the stuff. Have spools of the stuff in my shop. If you learn to splice it, there are alot of possible uses.

OP
J

JRMiller

WKR
I went thru a weight trimming phase and bought some of their zline and some other dyneema cords. Have used it on tents and tarps in the past couple of years. Works fine. No issues with durability, though I can’t recall having a tent or tarp guyline breaking in the past that wasn’t mechanically induced (cut or rubbed) so I can’t say if the extra strength adds much to the equation. I bought the cord partly because I splurged on a dyneema tarp and it felt stupid adding 6oz of 550 and nylon cord to a $300 8oz tarp. Honestly, it is 4x the cost of regular cord and there are easier and cheaper ways to save a few ounces, but go for it if you want to.

The dinky diameter of the 1-2mm dyneema isnt confidence inspiring at first glance but it works. I have had some straps in some gusty weather and I think the tarp would tear before the cord breaks.

I do carry about 50-100 feet of cord for general purpose use on must trips. Traditionally if had been 550 but I replaced it with some iron wire form Lawson. It is slick and glides well for bear bagging and hauling a deer up a tree to skin it. Seems to resist pulling and picking better than 550. For the same weight, I get something 3x stronger than 550. Break strength for 5mm cord is 1500# so Technically it could be used for holding a person, though I wouldn’t care to test it unless I had to. Probably more bang for your buck than guylines if you do that.

Thats Lawsons looks awesome. thank for the input, i had never heard of them before. I'm sold on them now

Abrasion resistance is one issue with Dyneema, as previously listed. However this can easily be over come with a chafe sleeve or keeping a couple loops of 550 to wrap around rocks, etc.

The second issue is the lack of stretch. (My numbers may be a little off, it's been awhile since I've looked at them) At max breaking load Dyneema stretches 2-3%. Typical poly based lines can stretch 10-15% at 1/4 of breaking load. Stretch often acts as a shock absorber in tents/tarps. Removing that stretch can cause problems if not handled correctly.
However. Other then those two major issues, which can both be dealt with, I love the stuff. Have spools of the stuff in my shop. If you learn to splice it, there are alot of possible uses.
The whole stretch, or lack of stretch, is a pro, as far as I'm concerned. I think it's imperative to have a loop of UL wt., thin, bungie attached to all mid panel guy outs, especially when using DCF shelters. The bungie weighs next to nothing, and adds plenty of shock absorption, greatly reducing the stress that can be put on those attachment points during heavy, gusting winds.

tdot

WKR
The whole stretch, or lack of stretch, is a pro, as far as I'm concerned. I think it's imperative to have a loop of UL wt., thin, bungie attached to all mid panel guy outs, especially when using DCF shelters. The bungie weighs next to nothing, and adds plenty of shock absorption, greatly reducing the stress that can be put on those attachment points during heavy, gusting winds.

I agree that the lack of stretch is generally a benefit. Just as long as it's allowed for. I've used alot of it on sail boats and seen it destroy alot of very expensive gear due to the lack of stretch, so just wanted to point it out.

I like the idea of the small bungee. What exactly are you using? Would a loop of 1/16" bungee be sufficient on a tent? I've spliced in bungee to dyneema control lines on our boat, still working on a way to do it following an ultralight mentality.

Trial153

WKR
I am not sure of the size bungee i use but i guess its about 4mm. I made a loop with double hog rings.

tdot

WKR
I am not sure of the size bungee i use but i guess its about 4mm. I made a loop with double hog rings.

Whenever I've used bungee and dyneema, I've had dyneema backing up the bungee, so that at a certain amount of stretch, the load is transferred to the dyneema and the bungee doesnt break. I'm probably over thinking that need on a tent, but have you had this system in a storm and no issues with the loop?

I like the idea of the small bungee. What exactly are you using? Would a loop of 1/16" bungee be sufficient on a tent? I've spliced in bungee to dyneema control lines on our boat, still working on a way to do it following an ultralight mentality.
The stuff I use, I think, is a little bigger than that, like maybe 1/8” diameter.
2de7f8d07e516d9675dd5164122b6170.jpg

b63781e4963348bd7698197548479198.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Due to it having no stretch, tieing knots dramatically lowers its strength. Splicing and tension wrapping are about the only two methods that work and maintain its strength

You might also look into Kite Surfing line. Typically dyneema or spectra, and sometimes you can find a bargain on it.