Dyneema/Cuben/Sil Nylon/Tyvek

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some insight on MYOG regarding the fabrics listed above. I'm going to be making shelters/tarps/bivy's and wanted any insight from people that have used these fabrics. I understand that Dyneema/Cuben is extremely strong and lightweight (also expensive) but can't figure out if this material is waterproof/breathable or truly 100% waterproof (i.e. PVC vs Gore-Tex). I familiar with Tyvek for home projects and some DIY gear, it works OK but isn't what I'd call breathable or 100% waterproof (in my experience). Sil nylon and ripstop seem like good middle of the road products but as a floor or bivy in heavy rain I question the waterproofness for extended periods of time. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mt Al

WKR
Here's a great resource: http://www.cubenmaker.com/ Dude makes some cool stuff. The sample book of cuben fiber has all kinds: 100% waterproof, waterproof breathable, heavy, light, etc.. IMHO, silnylon is great stuff to start with, sew it, seam seal it, reinforce attachment points and you're close for less money. Just my opinion.

colonel00

WKR
My understanding is that silnylon and Cuben is not breathable but fantastic for the shelters you mention (not bivys). You will get condensation but mitigate that with venting and air flow. For a bivy, look for a breathable, water"proof" material if you will be sleeping out in the elements without a shelter (but why do that?). If you don't, you'll wake up soaked on the inside from condensation so being waterproof or not won't really matter. Also checkout eVent if you can find it.

Jaker_cc

WKR
If you get to a point where you get all this worked out and are interested in building a supertarp annex I would pay your price. I’ve been trying to find one and having zero luck.