Dyneema Tents??

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Can you guys post up some links to companies making tents out of this fabric? I'm looking for something but I don't know what:)

Hyperlite mountain gear duo mid and ulta mid. Dyneema doesn’t stretch or sag which is nice. It’s waterproof and light. Doesn’t absorb water so when you pack it up its not soggy. Downside is the steep cost.

Beendare

WKR
The no stretch, higher denier and less condensation is tough to beat.

If the forum complaints are exagerated-and they very well could be, then this material is the perfect tent fabric.

Can you guys post up some links to companies making tents out of this fabric? I'm looking for something but I don't know what:)
There are a several options out there Ryan, here's a few to get you started.

Ultra Light Tents, Tarps, Bivys, Packs & Gear | Mountain Laurel Designs | Super Ultra Light Equipment for Outdoor & Wilderness

Bear Paw Wilderness Designs

Ultralight Backpacks, Shelters, Tarps & Equipment - Cuben Fiber Gear

LOCUS GEAR - "A Beautiful moment with us." - Lightweight Shelters

www.yamamountaingear.com

www.zpacks.com

www.hammockgear.com

That's all I can think of off hand. There used to be several others that made CF shelters like, Seek Outside, Six Moon Designs, Ruta Locura, I think Light Heart Gear, and maybe some others, but they got out of the CF business for one reason or another. I know that when DSM bought out the original makers of cuben fiber (Cubic Technologies), in 2015, they renamed cuben fiber (Dyneema), the price of CF increased, and initially it became less available. I think that these factors, along with the inherent level of difficulty that working with CF presents, caused several manufactures to shit can CF altogether. Anyway, that short list should give you a few different shelters to consider based on your current needs. Good luck man!

3forks

WKR
I have an HMG Ultamid 2 and don't have enough hours with it to confirm that continually folding may create enough wear to cause pin holes, but I doubt that would occur. Even if it did happen, duct tape can be used for a semi permanent repair.

I have a Ruta Locura carbon center pole that I use with my mid instead of my trekking poles. I also have a Promaster XC525c tripod that has a single leg that converts to a monopod, and I've thought about using that instead of the dedicated carbon pole I pack.

Regardless, the Ultamid 2 is very roomy for 2 people, simple to pitch, and bombproof.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The no stretch, higher denier and less condensation is tough to beat.

If the forum complaints are exagerated-and they very well could be, then this material is the perfect tent fabric.
Unless you want to run a stove, then it's a no go

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3forks

WKR
Unless you want to run a stove, then it's a no go

Not necessarily. You can sew a stove jack into dyneema and you can use a longer stove pipe to mitigate the possibility of having embers burn the fabric.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not necessarily. You can sew a stove jack into dyneema and you can use a longer stove pipe to mitigate the possibility of having embers burn the fabric.
If you want to take that risk, by all means. But every manufacturer warns against it because of the low melting point of cuben. I certainly wouldn't take that chance.

Stove jacks came standard in the CF tipis that Ruta Locura used to make. I never owned one, so I can’t speak from experience, but I also never heard of anybody having any issues with them.
Ruta Locura Lone peak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got off the phone with Josh (Ruta Locura), regarding the use of stoves in CF shelters and also spoke with him, and HMG, about the durability/longevity of CF vs. silnylon. Josh was emphatic about there being no unusual issues with using a wood stove inside a CF shelter and stated that he has not heard of anybody (that is doing this), having any more problems than what would exist with using a stove inside a silnylon shelter. He went so far as to site a book, about the winter crossing of the Pacific Crest Trail, by a couple guy's that used a MLD cuben Duomid along with a wood stove. Ultralight Winter Travel: The Ultimate Guide to Lightweight Winter Camping, Hiking, and Backpacking: Justin Lichter, Shawn Forry: 9781493026104: Amazon.com: Books

In regards to CF "breaking down" and leaking over time from just normal use/wear and tear vs. silnylon, both Josh and the person I spoke with at HMG stated that from their experience, both will eventually break down and have issues, but with silnylon it tends to happen more rapidly. In many instances this is do to the fact that CF is much more resistant to the negative effects of UV rays than what silnylon is.

Last edited:
Here’s a photo showing these two guys using a wood burner, in their cuben Duomid, on a 2,650 mile PCT hike.

405ea5913c0cdf9601279f02c6c5e654.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ak troutbum,

Do you notice any difference in the insulating properties, ie ability to retain heat in silnylon vs dyneema?

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Ak troutbum,

Do you notice any difference in the insulating properties, ie ability to retain heat in silnylon vs dyneema?

No I haven't but I also haven't done any winter camping, under both types of material, and I haven't really paid any attention when I've used them.

No I haven't but I also haven't done any winter camping, under both types of material, and I haven't really paid any attention when I've used them.
Gotcha, thanks! Was wondering if cuben would retain heat from a stove any different than say silnylon.

Can anyone chime in?

3forks

WKR
Gotcha, thanks! Was wondering if cuben would retain heat from a stove any different than say silnylon.

Can anyone chime in?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd been wanting to have my HMG duo mid modified with a stove jack.

The pic AK Troutbum posted may have helped make my decision. A dyneema tent with a small WiFi stove seems like it would be a great lightweight 4 season setup.

Tarptent Notch Li

I've been eyeing this new tent from Tarptent for summer and early fall stuff. Has the things i like in a tent, side entry and good vestibule space and double walled, all in a 20oz package. I want to see what people who use it for a bit say about it; not sure when it's actually shipping to folks though.

Erica from Tarptent here. We're working on a second batch of Notch Li right now. We're hoping to open ordering this month. We have been collecting a list of emails of folks who are interested. They're going to get an email notification when ordering opens. If this is something you are interested in, shoot us an email at [email protected]... Just want to make sure all the backcountry hunters get a fair chance at these too... ;)

Clarktar

WKR
You guys have any notches in stock?
Erica from Tarptent here. We're working on a second batch of Notch Li right now. We're hoping to open ordering this month. We have been collecting a list of emails of folks who are interested. They're going to get an email notification when ordering opens. If this is something you are interested in, shoot us an email at [email protected]... Just want to make sure all the backcountry hunters get a fair chance at these too... ;)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Yes, they do and I'm trying really hard not to buy one.

Clarktar

WKR
Thanks. Just realized they are 1 person. I'm looking for two person size and want to run stove. I want cimarron built out of dyneema ....
Yes, they do and I'm trying really hard not to buy one.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk