E-Bike vs UTV to hunt multiple states for retirement?

Asking this question on behalf of my father. He’s getting ready to retire, is single, and is planning on spending most of fall living out of his RV hunting various states (elk, mule deer, WT, ducks) for the foreseeable future. He’s debating getting an e-bike OR a UTV (Polaris ranger or similar), and asked my opinion.

My thoughts are that a UTV is a more capable vehicle, and legally speaking (I think), there’s no where a UTV can’t go that an E-bike can. Am I correct in my assumption? You can’t take an e-bike or a UTV on BLM, National Forest, right? Anywhere you can take one but not the other?

Besides portability and stealth, are there any real benefits to a E-Bike?

What advice, or consideration, would you give my pops? Thanks in advance!

FullValue

Lil-Rokslider
I think there are variances in some states. I know some states have started to look at regulating the e bikes more than they do at this time. I wouldn't be surprised to see them have more strict regulations in the future but who knows. The E bikes can go on a lot more trails than the UTVs because most places they fall under a bike regulation. There are a lot of trails out there that you can't take UTVs on. But weather is a big factor when considering. Most of the Western fall hunting will be subject to wet and cold weather and not sure he's going to get an ebike on a lot of trails. I would say a UTV is more hand for all purpose use. E bikes are a little more specific in regards to use and you would either have to pull a trailer or carry a loaded pack depending the type of hunting you are doing.

If he goes the UTV route you might look into the wheel base size and width. A lot of states have limits and regulations on the size of UTV that can access trails. They make trail specific models to address this.

You can take an E-bike on Nat Forest or BLM land. You can't on Wilderness trails though. I would say UTV, an ebike on trails still takes some physical effort.

OP
carsonkeys
Legalities aside; older, backcountry, bicycle, alone, does not sound like a great combination to me. I say UTV all the way and deal with the potential limitations. There are electric UTV's if stealth is a desire.
Good point man.

OP
carsonkeys
I think there are variances in some states. I know some states have started to look at regulating the e bikes more than they do at this time. I wouldn't be surprised to see them have more strict regulations in the future but who knows. The E bikes can go on a lot more trails than the UTVs because most places they fall under a bike regulation. There are a lot of trails out there that you can't take UTVs on. But weather is a big factor when considering. Most of the Western fall hunting will be subject to wet and cold weather and not sure he's going to get an ebike on a lot of trails. I would say a UTV is more hand for all purpose use. E bikes are a little more specific in regards to use and you would either have to pull a trailer or carry a loaded pack depending the type of hunting you are doing.

If he goes the UTV route you might look into the wheel base size and width. A lot of states have limits and regulations on the size of UTV that can access trails. They make trail specific models to address this.
Ahhh the details in that last paragraph could’ve very easily been overlooked! Thank you.

Phaseolus

WKR
If you Father doesn’t already have good mtn biking skills he may want to rethink an eBike, they are only easier to pedal.

wapitibob

WKR
Id get both. I’m 65 and would add an ebike to my atv if I spent all fall hunting. The places I hunt some will not allow an atv, some will not allow e bikes, some won’t allow either. The best hunting money I’ve spent was that atv but there have been a few times an ebike would be nice. I’ve used that atv elk hunting in NM, AZ, and has been worth its weight elk and antelope hunting in WY.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
glad I chose UTV. Reviewed many, decided on Honda Pioneer 520. Its legal for those 50" & under limited trails and I'm mostly solo anyways so its a good size.

At my senior age, don't want to ride soft desert sands, or mountain snow on a bike, fat tire or not.
Western states, areas that I hunt, if you can e-bike, you can UTV (licensed street legal requirements).
e-bikes don't have to be licensed-street-legal.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of Idaho areas are called “singletrack” which means motorcycle (ebike, horse, walk) only but if you don’t hunt areas like this then it’s not going to help. Also I’m not one to know because I’m not a motorcycle or ebike guy but every motorcycle guy I talk to says you better be damn good to ride a trail, potentially in the dark, with a heavy pack on!

Vandal 44

WKR
glad I chose UTV. Reviewed many, decided on Honda Pioneer 520. Its legal for those 50" & under limited trails and I'm mostly solo anyways so its a good size.

At my senior age, don't want to ride soft desert sands, or mountain snow on a bike, fat tire or not.
Western states, areas that I hunt, if you can e-bike, you can UTV (licensed street legal requirements).
e-bikes don't have to be licensed-street-legal.

This, I have a Honda Pioneer 500 it’s great for getting in and out and when I get an animal down I can haul it out in one load.

It seems like every time I see someone using an E-Bike on one of the hunting shows something get broken on the E-Bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
carsonkeys
Thanks for all the advice. I think he’s leaning heavily UTV. That said, there have been a few recommendations here already, any other UTV’s you’d suggest?

E-bike rules are complicated, 750watt restrictions, ect..
Then how do you haul your gear, ect... Not really a retired guys game if you ask me.
UTV can haul game and gear, provide shelter and warmth. Allow travel on rough roads reducing fuel usage and wear and tear on your truck. Have a coffee mug holder, ect.... UTV is a retired mans game.

Honda makes some nice ones.

cnelk

WKR
I have an atv and also an Ebike. Both have their place and both have their pros/cons

I like my ebike for the quiet riding on trails (legally)
I like my atv for going up steep grades, quickly, going longer distances faster, nimble etc

Hell, I’m thinking about making a rack to haul my ebike on my atv.

Best of both worlds

18AF9F44-E0FD-4B59-90E3-2B6F859A08C0.jpeg

CorbLand

WKR
For me it would depend on what areas he will primarily be hunting.

Where I live its wilderness on the north and forest service on the south. The only single track on the south leads you to roads, so there really is no point in getting a dirt bike or ebike as I could get to the same places in a pickup or utv. Cant use either in the wilderness, so that is out.

My brother got a dirt bike for hunting because where he lives there are tons of single track and logging roads open to two wheeled vehicles. He uses his bike to get back on the old logging roads then generally hikes from there. It saves him 3-4 miles one way. He went with a dirt bike over an ebike simply for the price of a dirt bike being cheaper.