E bike?

Anyone use an e bike for elk? Looking to maybe extend the range a bit, also fighting a foot issue so saving a few miles a day could be a huge help.

johnw

FNG
I have a Bakcou Mule - great battery life, quiet, and reliable. Its worth every penny for solo elk hunting.

I had 2 of them and one was stolen off my truck this past fall, so buy multiple high quality chains/locks.

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
I have a QuietKat, and if I had to do it over again I would get a Bakcou.,

I wouldn’t plan on going into some crazy rough area with one. I tried and it didn’t work so well. But it’s a good tool to have I believe.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
Folks that use ebikes, I'm curious what kind of roads and trails are you taking them on? Do you think most ebike users are strictly keeping them on motorized trails on Forest Service/BLM land?

ahlgringo

WKR
For those of you that have some experience- what does something like a Bakcou Mule or some of the Quietkats get ya as opposed to something like the the RadRover. It looks like the specs as far as power and battery life are very similar. I am wondering why one is almost triple the price?

Total newbie to this, so please educate me

Folks that use ebikes, I'm curious what kind of roads and trails are you taking them on? Do you think most ebike users are strictly keeping them on motorized trails on Forest Service/BLM land?
I am curious as well; I started researching Forest Service, and States rules/regs and they appear to have the same restrictions as ATV's or any other motorized vehicle. What advantages do you gain with an Ebike?

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I can see the advantage over an atv being that they are quiet, lightweight, easy to throw into the back up a pickup, no gas and oils smells, cheaper to maintain. Some state lands might allow them or have enough of a grey area with their regs. But it seems like the companies are marketing then as a way to get down closed roads and such. I think I even heard one of the famous elk hunters (Corey Jacobson maybe?) specifically talking about taking them down closed logging roads, and that is simply illegal. No different than driving around a gate on your ATV. A lot of ebike users are flagrantly breaking the law and I have a feeling hunters are part of that based on the marketing and media of these machines, but that's just a speculation which is why I'd love some candid feedback from those who know more.

Gerbdog

WKR
I was looking at E bikes a year or two ago, and should mention i live in CO. The rules / laws may have changed on them but those E bikes are allowed back on mountain biking trails as a good example of where you normally couldnt just take an ATV or something along those line. All that said, and this may be old laws, but it also depends on the type of E bike you have, i believe there were 3 classes and only class 1 and class 2 E bikes were allowed back on biking trails. You also cant enter wildlife areas, etc. etc. with them still. End of the day im still waiting and watching to see how reg's change and if they would be worth my $$$$. As it stands and where i currently have my OTC hangout spot i dont think they are currently worth it to me personally.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at E bikes a year or two ago, and should mention i live in CO. The rules / laws may have changed on them but those E bikes are allowed back on mountain biking trails as a good example of where you normally couldnt just take an ATV or something along those line.

As much as folks would like for this to be true, on Federal land, this is simply not the case nor has it ever been.

Gerbdog

WKR
I would check your state rules and then get down to individual parcels of land you want to use them on, this is colorado's E bike page here:

Naturally its relatively vague

"Where can I ride my e-bike?​

E-bike use on CPW Lands​

Class 1 and 2 e-bikes are allowed the same access as road bikes and mountain bikes, while class 3 e-bikes are only to be allowed on roadways and in designated bike lanes.

E-bike use on State Park Lands​

• Class 1 and 2 e-bikes are allowed on roadways and designated bike lanes and on multi-use trails and other areas (e.g.,campgrounds) that are open to non-motorized biking.
  • Class 3 e-bikes are only allowed on designated roadways and designated bike lanes."
It's not a free pass to just drive your E-bike wherever you feel like, but it does grant some access that you normally wouldnt have with a motorized bike without having to pedal the whole way yourself.

Last edited:
you get what you pay for. Most of the ebikes that you see hunters get are very, very cheap bikes with a motor on them. People are thinking a $2500 -3000 ebike are expensive. But in the bike world that is a wally world bike with a motor. A decent ebike with good brakes and shifting and suspension will be over $4,000 very easy. But this is coming from a guy that likes high end peddle bikes. Just remeber the USFS treats them like a motorcycle.

wesfromky

WKR
you get what you pay for. Most of the ebikes that you see hunters get are very, very cheap bikes with a motor on them. People are thinking a $2500 -3000 ebike are expensive. But in the bike world that is a wally world bike with a motor. A decent ebike with good brakes and shifting and suspension will be over $4,000 very easy. But this is coming from a guy that likes high end peddle bikes. Just remeber the USFS treats them like a motorcycle.
I have been looking at e-bikes a bit and this is true. I am leaning more towards a trek or specialized ebike for this reason, though they have less power and lack the ability to just go without peddling. Reasoning is I would probably ride it more on mtb trails year round then I would use it actually hunting. I would be on private land for hunting mostly, so the state regs don't matter as much.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think you can use them anywhere in Montana except on the very roads you can drive your truck. Don't know for sure but heard gated roads in Montana were going from having NO MOTORIZED signs to NO MECHANIZED signs meaning those gated roads wouldn't even allow pedal bikes.

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
It's a shame too, many of these gated roads are 5 miles from the base of the mountain and would still be drive able for a 1 ton pickup. Big advantage for the locals who have horses

Elk97

WKR
You can get info on what is allowed (hike, horse, motorcycle, atv, etc) on Onx. Just tap on the trail and scroll down to see the uses. Not sure if it works everywhere but it does in MT.